Ficht problem

whiterivercat

Recruit
Evinrude 150 ficht '97 Start idle and run good untill I get to about 3000 rpm and it acts crazy like go stop go stop untill I get back to about 2800 and it runs fine. Took it to shop they said i was overheating and replaced water pump. Got it home and same thing. Check engine light will come on and go back off. Any ideas. Dealer wants me to bring it back. Could there be another heat issue or something else.
Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Ficht problem

Did dealer interrogate the ECU?

Without the SW and laptop just guessing. Take it to a BRP Evinrude dealer with experience on Ficht and E-Tec motors.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

What was overheating ... the ECU and/or the motor? Have you put fingers on the cylinder head when running? Overheating and you can't keep the fingers there. Should be ~ 140 to 150?F. The ECU will do flaky things if it gets too hot (it's water cooled).

If you don't find anything, let the dealer have another try, since he obviously didn't get it the first time. BTW, when did the motor run right last?

whiterivercat

Recruit

I tried to run it today. after about bout 1-2 hours at home I took top off motor and heads were still warm. I replaced ignition module a while back last time it ran good is when it went down with that.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Now do it again with the motor warmed up and running. BTW, do you have an engine temp gauge?

Was the ECU rebuilt or just replaced? What was the cause of failure?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Yes the 97 has a seperate ignition module and is air thats not built in to the EMM, check your stator/rectifier voltages as this can cause the same problem as you posted and this EMM is air cooled....

tim1198

Cadet

Evinrude 150 ficht '97 Start idle and run good untill I get to about 3000 rpm and it acts crazy like go stop go stop untill I get back to about 2800 and it runs fine. Took it to shop they said i was overheating and replaced water pump. Got it home and same thing. Check engine light will come on and go back off. Any ideas. Dealer wants me to bring it back. Could there be another heat issue or something else.
Thanks

The water pump only pumps the water; they need to check the ports to make sure that the water is getting to the EMM. There is a water jacket running through there to cool the EMM. According to the troubleshooting table, the hot EMM error will cause it to go into "SLOW" mode (not shut down) so you can get back to shore.

Good luck,
Tim

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

they need to check the ports to make sure that the water is getting to the EMM. There is a water jacket running through there to cool the EMM.

The '97 and '98 FICHT have an air cooled ECU - no water lines needed

If the top plastic cover is not installed above the ECU, it could overheat from lack of air flow