skeg gaurd

XTREME6669

Recruit
Hello, I have a 1994 Bay liner 1750 capri with the 3.0 Mercruiser engine in it.

When I bought it the skeg fin was cracked and over the last season it broke off... There is not enough left to put a skeg guard on it but I'm going to try to make it work anyway... When I go to order the skeg guard it wants to know if the engine is a Alpha or Bravo.... I'm not at home so I can't just go look... any one know off hand?

Thank you advance

XTREME6669

Recruit
Re: skeg gaurd

Never mind... Went digging thru some pics I had on photo bucket and found one that showed the outboard drive... It's a alpha 1.

boatprop2.jpg

boatprop.jpg

searay3

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can have a welding shop with this type of experience repair the skeg...or you can run without it. It does nothing for performance or steering. It's supposed to protect the prop...doesn't do that very well.....lots have run for years without them...

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

You can have a welding shop with this type of experience repair the skeg...or you can run without it. It does nothing for performance or steering. It's supposed to protect the prop...doesn't do that very well.....lots have run for years without them...

I will agree it can be run but the skeg does quite a bit for performance and protect both the prop and lower unit..Think of it as a high tension shock absorber and when she snaps like that so did a lot of energy..At least the prop and the leg didnt take the intial blow

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Have your local prop shop weld a new skeg on. It will be much more structurally sound and way better for resale. Besides if you hit something with the skeg guard on that fin it will probably take the rest of it off. Last point, it would probably be cheaper to have a new skeg welded on rather than buying a skeg guard. Mine cost $105 in NY, and my nephew just had one done in Il for $80.

XTREME6669

Recruit

Nice, I was under the impression it would be big money to get it welded. I'll check out some local boat and fab shops to see what it would run me... How far apart would I need to take it to have them weld it w/o damaging and seals, etc?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Nice, I was under the impression it would be big money to get it welded. I'll check out some local boat and fab shops to see what it would run me... How far apart would I need to take it to have them weld it w/o damaging and seals, etc?

I removed the gearcase (lower unit) from the outdrive and delivered it to the prop shop. Only removed the prop. If you do that make sure you keep track of the washer that goes on the lower shift shaft, put it someplace safe;). I asked the same questions, and they told me not to worry. They had 5 others there when I dropped mine off, so it seems like they knew what they are doing:D.