Evinrude Commercial 40hp

JDawg1972

Recruit
I am not exactly sure of the year, although I believe this motor was manufatured in South America... It is a commercial evinrude 40

The problem I am having is that this motor will idle great all day long, but when I get after it, it will run for a short time (minute or two) before it starts surging, almost as though it is starving for fuel... It does this at ranges from just above idle to full throttle... Any ideas?

The model# on this unit is SE40RSLS

whalerfreak22

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Evinrude Commercial 40hp

You might have water in your carb and your motor might be slurping some up every now and then.I would strongly recommend cleaning your carbs and rebuilding or replacing your fuel pump.

JDawg1972

Recruit

Thabk you whalerfreak, I have rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel pump, drained and cleaned the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in it... Im definitely at a loss.

chadpcb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am not exactly sure of the year, although I believe this motor was manufatured in South America... It is a commercial evinrude 40

The problem I am having is that this motor will idle great all day long, but when I get after it, it will run for a short time (minute or two) before it starts surging, almost as though it is starving for fuel... It does this at ranges from just above idle to full throttle... Any ideas?

The model# on this unit is SE40RSLS

S = South America
E = Evinrude
40 = HP
RS = Commerical Rope Start
L = 20" Length
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<IS THERE A LETTER HERE
S = Zero for the year

Start with the basic.
Try running again and when the problem happens then pump the primer bulb to see if this helps it run better. If it doesn't then your fuel pump is fine.

Make sure you don't have any air leaks in the fuel system. Use a Spray Bottle of 50:1 gas to test for air leaks around carbs. Check all fuel lines for cracks or broken clamps.