Tachometer or not?

tnurgeniram

Seaman Apprentice
I have the 3 pin hookup for a tach. Should I put one on my boat for a 94' 30hp Evinrude? If so, where can I get one cheap?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tachometer or not?

tach is an important diagnostic tool, it can be your first indication that the motor needs attention and it's critical if you want to optimize your setup (motor mounting height, prop pitch, trim angle, weight & balance).

try ebay. there's a boat repair shop around here that has bins of used gauges for $10-$20. Needs to be a "marine" or "outboard" tachometer with a 6p setting.

a good yet cheap inductive digital tach: www.tinytach.com

tnurgeniram

Seaman Apprentice

tach is an important diagnostic tool, it can be your first indication that the motor needs attention and it's critical if you want to optimize your setup (motor mounting height, prop pitch, trim angle, weight & balance).

try ebay. there's a boat repair shop around here that has bins of used gauges for $10-$20. Needs to be a "marine" or "outboard" tachometer with a 6p setting.

a good yet cheap inductive digital tach: www.tinytach.com
The tiny tach looks nice and would be easy to install, but it only has a 5 year shelf life on the battery. You can't replace it either.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

life is full of little trade-offs

F_R

Supreme Mariner

An option is a hand-held "laser" or "photo" tach. No installation, and can be used on other boats/machines. After all, once you are satisfied with the prop/setup, do you really need it?