Please help with Chris Craft steering setup!

67SeaSkiff

Cadet
I've got a 1967 27' Chris Craft Sea Skiff that has been a project for the last 3 years and it is just about ready to go in the water. Problem is I have no idea what the steering linkage/components look like.

It's a twin screw with 283's. Where the rudders come through the hull there is a pitman arm on each rudder. An approx 1'' dia. shaft spans from one rudder pitman arm to the other. Aside from that, there is no trace of steering components whatsoever. There are no cable giudes or stoppers, no pulleys, nothing! when I bought the boat the prev owner said the "cable was seized so I cut it out". please help, I've scoured the net and can't get a diagram or parts list to connect the steering back up. I'm thinking I need a teleflex cable but I don't know how to go about attaching it to the rudders.

If someone were to post a picture of their steering setup in a similar style boat, or direct me to a link it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
thanks for any help
IMG00023-20100813-1248.jpg

IMG00025-20100813-1248.jpg

IMG00026-20100813-1249.jpg

RL

Ned L

Commander
Re: Please help with Chris Craft steering setup!

Do you have any remains of the original helm station? Pictures of that would be helpful. I would have thought your age boat might have had traditional "pipe steering" throughout, but I guess not based on the previous owners comments and the fact that I don't see any other bell cranks (pitman arms) in the pictures. I suppose pretty much 'any' type of system could be set up (like a Teleflex system. You would just need to fasten the cable end hardware to the connecting pipe between the two rudders.

rickster

Cadet

Google the Chris Craft Museum in Norfolk Virginia. The have most all of the old factory diagrams and build sheets for the old Chris Crafts. My brother has a 42' Commander and has used them extensively in refurbishing his boat. They may be able to help.http://www.marinersmuseum.org/library/chris-craft

Ned L

Commander

Good thought, but it is the "Mariner's Museum".