Live & learn - Seized 4.3L Merc after dieseling

MikeyG

Recruit
Thought I'd share this for the masses. My '95 Stingray with a 4.3 L V-6 was dieseling real bad and I got the bright idea to throw it into gear to stall it. Bad move. It sucked water into 3 of 6 cylinders and promptly seized the motor. The first mechanic pulled the plugs and tried to turn the motor - no luck. He directed me to a Mercruiser mech for an engine change. Lucky for me, he tried a substance called eco#@! (I didn't quite catch it, like Kroil but not Kroil). Long story short, after 2 flushes with diesel fuel, new plugs, rebuilt carb, and an oil change she runs great again (sometimes the Lord gives grace to boneheads). Lesson learned (to prevent the costly dieseling) - 1) Don't use crappy gas 2) If it idles too fast, fix it. 3) Run your motor in idle for a minute before shutting it off. (There is a merc bulletin on dieseling)Note: I am running Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas as recommended under the table by the mechanic. - Later :)

MarkMtgy

Cadet
Re: Live & learn - Seized 4.3L Merc after dieseling

Got a '96 Mercruiser that is dieseling. Trying to find that bulletin you mentioned, and can't. You got a link? Also, any other tips on keeping it from dieseling? (just bought this boat a month ago, still figuring her out.

chipper

Cadet

2001 Mercruiser 4.3l. I had dieseling problem for awhile. Changed to cooler thermostat, use premium gas, idled for a bit before shutting down. All is fine now.

magster65

Commander

Dieseling is definately bad, sorry to hear about that. :(

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

merc bulletin #97-107 I think it also recommends a colder heat range plug change. Ill check on it

nikk

Seaman Apprentice

what is dieseling i have never heard of that does it mean really ruff idle after you turn the ignition off???? :rolleyes:

Dunaruna

Admiral

Nikk, dieseling is when the engine continues to run when the ignition source is turned of (no spark to plugs) caused by the tip of the spark plugs way to hot and still igniting fuel in the cylinders. Possible causes are, wrong plugs, wrong timing (to advanced), fuel octane to low (related to timing) and idling way to fast while shutting down. Its called deiseling because deisel engines dont need a spark to ignite fuel.

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Mike,<br /><br />This probably wont make you feel any better, but a characteristic of a dieseling 4.3L V6 is that it can (and often does) spin backwards. Strange, but true as I have witnessed this myself. And no, I was not high on smack.<br /><br />It may not have mattered that you put it in gear as a backwards spinning engine sucks up water like a straw. This is why a guy needs to address dieseling right away with this engine.

MarkMtgy

Cadet

Thanks for the link to the bulletin. I appreciate it much. Love this Stingray, gotta get her running fine.

Trent

Captain

Your welcomb.....And I dont do "smack"<br /><br />Smack users are losers!