Aluminum Primer Type

croag

Cadet
hi -

I've got a 12' aluminum boat that sanded Down and wire wheeled. I plan on prepping the surface w/ alumiprep or some other Zinc Chromate but I am wondering, can i use a non marine primer if I'm going to be throwing a marine paint on top?

I'm trying to save a few $$ but not sure if this is wise. Can you advise?
Thanks

Last edited:

croag

Cadet
Re: Aluminum Primer Type

Man - a rattle can.....I was hoping i could get something i can throw in my HPLV spayer! NO worries though!

1 - Is that something a home Depot/lowes type of store carries or do i need to go to a specialty shop?

2 - how many darn cans will i need approx for a 12' boat?

croag

Cadet

Man - a rattle can.....I was hoping i could get something i can throw in my HPLV spayer! NO worries though!

1 - Is that something a home Depot/lowes type of store carries or do i need to go to a specialty shop?

2 - how many darn cans will i need approx for a 12' boat?

1 - I just found on that website that its nearly everywhere. Walmart, home depot, lowes, etc

not sure how much i need though!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Check Sherwin Williams. They might carry some. It ain't cheap! Be ready for Price Shock. $25.00 a quart.

I'm just sayin...:D

croag

Cadet

Ya - i forgot to mention that i went to SW yesterday and received that sticker shock!!!

Hence i'm looking for a cheaper option that will be equitable....I think at 4 or 5 bucks a can, i can do the whole boat inside and out for about 40 bucks or so.sound about right?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey I found this for you on the web.
Not sure where you can Buy it but it will paint the entire boat for less than 30 bucks
http://www.spaceagepaint.com/product_detail.aspx?id_product=9069
Mar-Hyde Single Stage
Self Etching Primer - Quart

product_image.ashx

Our price:$26.46 Size:Quart

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

if you want zinc chromate that you can spray look here .... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/index.html on the left side of the page click on covering supplies then the next page click on primers. this is where i ordered mine from and its the only place i could find that sells it in qts. not just spray bombs. i also ordered the matching reducer just to be safe. CBG

croag

Cadet

actually - that's a NAPA product. I just checked it out. Part #MMM 5113 .

I just called them up they say its 99.89 for a gallon!

I'm thinking about just going to rattle cans, then hitting it all with a duck boat paint.....i dunno. Getting a tad discouraged!

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

I went on a hunch and a prayer and ordered a gallon and a quart of this:

http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html

It will be another 5 days before it gets here, and another several months before I can report on how it performs....frankly, given my record for participation in online forums, my membership will auto-expire......probably a form of Adult Attention Deficit Disorder...or maybe I have too many ways to go....I dunno.....

Anyway, I've had some nice email exchanges with the guy, and he says people like it for aluminum boats...can be primer and/or topcoat. Just throwing that out. Not necessarily to be helpful. I'd just as soon not be the only one sticking my neck out. HAHAHAHA

actually - that's a NAPA product. I just checked it out. Part #MMM 5113 .

I just called them up they say its 99.89 for a gallon!

I'm thinking about just going to rattle cans, then hitting it all with a duck boat paint.....i dunno. Getting a tad discouraged!

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

We'll see! :)

If it works half as well as billed, I'll probably be happy, and as far as expense....hmmm....if primer and topcoat come out of the same applicator at the same time, I dunno.....that's a fairly efficient way to run a railroad. Darn near as good as buying a can of that striped paint for paintin' stuff with stripes.

On the other hand, my time is pretty cheap these days, so maybe you're right after all!

Very expensive Stuff!!!

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

Plus, it's a high temp coating, so I will be less concerned about anything melting
during re-entry to the atmosphere and Momma will not be such a worry wart if we get out in the Gulf and I get a wild hair to drive through a flaming oil spill.

Aw ****e....I've gone and cracked myself up....back to the wet sanding.........

Very expensive Stuff!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello m8...

The thing about Alum is bonding ..

I personally would .. again..

1. clean surface
2. alumaprep
3. alodine
4. Prime Coat Emediatly after dry ! ( not to have any moisture or contaminates on the surface ).
5. prep for paint ( should be sanded ONLY when your ready to top coat ). Again reduceing any contaminates on the paint surface.

Alum is tricky..

YD.

skydrol

Cadet

hi -

I've got a 12' aluminum boat that sanded Down and wire wheeled. I plan on prepping the surface w/ alumiprep or some other Zinc Chromate but I am wondering, can i use a non marine primer if I'm going to be throwing a marine paint on top?

I'm trying to save a few $$ but not sure if this is wise. Can you advise?
Thanks

Croag, I am with Bouymarker - as an aircraft mechanic I can tell you there is only one way to do the job, it may cost a little more but the result will last langer. Lightly sand the surface with aluminum oxide paper, acid etch, alodine and use a two part epoxy primer then paint as desired.

One thing that would concern me if we weren't talking about a 12 ft boat is the fact that you used a wire wheel. You should never use steel wired brushes on aluminum as small particles of the steel can become embeded in the aluminum and cause corrosion when placed in the precence of a weak electolyte such as salt water or lake water. Just saying for future knowledge.

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

I also read a cautionary note about using something like steel shot for sandblasting...the embedding thing.....a fairly lengthy technical article here:

http://www.ronjoseph.com/painting-aluminum.htm

On a related note, since I am not set up to weld aluminum, I am considering
putting a galvanized steel box arrangement at the rear of a 17 foot (aluminum) boat which would bolt to sides and floor directly to or near existing lateral supports on sides and floor and would extend 2 or 3 feet to transom and incorporate the engine mounting bolts in the structure. Probably a mix of square tubing and/or angle iron...maybe 3/16 X 2 X 2. The thought would be to spread any transom impact throughout the rear structure of the boat to both sides and bottom along with the transom itself.
As it turns out, I have 3 engine lower units to go through, but only the one transom. :) Probably put a lid on top that could be raised for access to bilge batteries, electrical...some storage, maybe mount some fishing seat bases...basically a raised 3 by 6 foot deck at the rear of the boat.

The question I would ask about that is would it be necessary to isolate the
galvanized steel from the aluminum with electrically non conductive washers/barrier to prevent electrolysis-type corrosion? I'm thinking so, but have not used these two materials together before to any extent.

Croag, I am with Bouymarker - as an aircraft mechanic I can tell you there is only one way to do the job, it may cost a little more but the result will last langer. Lightly sand the surface with aluminum oxide paper, acid etch, alodine and use a two part epoxy primer then paint as desired.

One thing that would concern me if we weren't talking about a 12 ft boat is the fact that you used a wire wheel. You should never use steel wired brushes on aluminum as small particles of the steel can become embeded in the aluminum and cause corrosion when placed in the precence of a weak electolyte such as salt water or lake water. Just saying for future knowledge.

Itsalonestar

Seaman Apprentice

Indeed. I am concluding that even the most technically advanced among us are not always able to determine what causes the coating on aluminum to fail. Given that bonding is the thing, what would be better...a somewhat imperfect chemical bond or a somewhat enhanced mechanical bond? I was also wondering what impact the introduction of electrically conductive microscopic bits of aluminum into the coating might have on either. Not much info available on that.

Hello m8...

The thing about Alum is bonding ..

I personally would .. again..

1. clean surface
2. alumaprep
3. alodine
4. Prime Coat Emediatly after dry ! ( not to have any moisture or contaminates on the surface ).
5. prep for paint ( should be sanded ONLY when your ready to top coat ). Again reduceing any contaminates on the paint surface.

Alum is tricky..

YD.

rz

Seaman Apprentice

Hey folks seems to me like a simple project just went waaaaay technical and dropped anchor for some of us simple minded kinda folks.

So if you want to recoat a 10'-14' aluminum craft jon or other wise, how does anyone recommend getting it done with out having to flash an "A&P" Certificate or be a NASA coatings technician?

For a part time fishing/duck hunting craft, I'm liking the rust-oleum self etching primer and a marine top coat or something like that.

Just curious!

rz

Last edited: