boat keeps going when put in neutral

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I noticed the other day when I was trying to trailer my boat that when ever I am going in any direction and put it in neutral, the boat just keeps on going. :eek: I have to start engaging the opposite direction in order for it to go into neutral and then the opposite direction. <br /><br />I have a 1975 18' Mark Twain with a 168 hp Mercruiser inline 6. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: boat keeps going when put in neutral

I meant 165 hp

FIN-FEVER

Cadet

I had same thing happen and it turned out to be a cracked outer cover on the shift cable back by the outdrive.When shifting, the outer cover did not support the movement of the inner cable. The outer casing just moved back and forth when you moved the shift lever.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You don't mention the type of motor and/or drive, but here's some general info to get started. Assuming you have an I/O, check for the obvious, as mentioned above since it sounds like this just started. Generally, properly adjusted shift cables remain working in good order until somethings takes them out of adjustment, such as worn or broken components or kinks or binding of the cable. If all inside the boat checks out, check for proper adjustment (see Alpha , Bravo or other adjustment guides). Next...head toward shift cable or shift component issues in the drive itself. Hopefully adjustments in the engine compartment will resolve your problems.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks fin and Mr Bill. I will go ahead and check these things as soon as possible. My outdrive is alpha and the motor is a gm strait six. Is there anything else I need to mention. :D

Bondo

Staff member

Your outdrive Should be a Mod.1,+ Your lower shift cable is Junk....<br /><br />Alpha1s came out in 1985.....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

A quick test to see if an adjustment is all you need is to put it in reverse and if it engages before you actually get it shifted in that will tell you that an adjustment is needed.The shifter will be out of adjustment both ways fwd and rev. charlie