new fleetwin question

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class
All right guys, I took the motor out w/o the pull start, I started it the old fashion way. Motor ran great. Pushed my 12 footer along at 9 mph.
High speed needle seemed loose.

does this speed seem correct?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: new fleetwin question

Are you sure the water was high enough in the barrel?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Tighten the packing nut on the high speed needle so it will stay put. There is a world of difference in boats/speeds. Try experimenting with different weight distribution, etc. OMC did a pretty good job of fitting their small motors with props that are good for the average boats the motor was likely to be used on. Anything else would probably be hard to find anyway.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

F_R
The packing was beyond tightening. lol

I picked up a carb rebuild kit for $14 shipped

Rebuilt the carb, took the boat out by myself, transferred as much weight forward as I could. I would guess she runs about 12mph, appears to be 3 times walking speed when looking at people walking down the beach.

No matter what I do, I can not get fully on plane with just myself in the boat.

I have resorted to kneeling on the floor between the last and middle bench to get more weight forward for any speed and more effeicient running.

I have to say, I have been a motorcycle nut for all my life. I love the old 2 strokes. I am quite surprised at the technology used on these old outboards.
They are way more advanced than most early 70's 2 stroke bikes.

lindy46

Captain

I usually put the gas tank as far forward as possible, and then I have to shift my weight toward the middle of the boat to get it to plane (same combo-Fleetwin on 12' boat). What notch do you have the tilt set? If it's on the third or fourth notch, try the second notch.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

My transom slopes from the top, forward at the bottom.
So I have been using the lowest setting. This kept the cavitation plate parrellel to the bottom of the boat. I shimmed the transom clamp with a piece of brass last night, this will allow me to have some adjustment now.
Now the motor can be adjusted some to help push the front down.
I haven't tried it yet.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

boat002.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

My 7.5 Fleetwin pushes my 14' flat bottom jon boat at 15.5 mph, GPS. You aren't going to get much better than 9 unless you can get it up on plane. Possibly just not enough horses.

54fleetwin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I can't really complain, boat was free from an old neighbor.
Motor and trailer free from my dad.

I replaced all the wood on the boat and did some work to the engine (carb rebuild kit, l/u seal kit, plugs, pullstart housing and coils.

Will look into the prop today to try to make sure it is the 7.5 prop and not a 5.5