Would the Dealer Charge Labor for Water Testing? (Towing it to the Lake)

searay1999

Cadet
Most Dealers around here are not on water. <br />While a boat is in for repairs and they need to spend the time to do a test ride on water should they charge for the time to tow it to open water for testing/troubleshooting?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: Would the Dealer Charge Labor for Water Testing? (Towing it to the Lake)

The Dealer should figure it as an operating cost to sell the boat.The dealer should not charge a customer for the dealers efforts to sell a boat.Car dealers dont charge for test drives just as they dont charge to ship in a vehicle for a customer from another dealer.The dealer does what it has to do to sell the unit.They can ask you to pay and your answer should be no thanks.If you want to sell me a boat then do what you have to do to convince me to buy one. Charlie

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I dont think hes talking about a demo ride. Its time spent troubleshooting a problem that cannot be recreated at the dealership, on a hose or in a tank.Yes you should have to pay for a tech to hook up your boat and take it to the lake to find your problem.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Sorry Guys I thought the post was for buying not repairing.Repairing is a whole different story.They go by time and time is money. Charlie

Capt Ken

Commander

Sometimes its the only way to be sure its repaired correctly. Many times they run fine at the shop but running them in actually conditions is the real test. Especially those that run well for a period of time before acting up. Like today, I took a Whaler with a jet drive down to the ramp to check the cooling out. Owner claimed the overheat alarm would sound after a few minutes. Couldn't make it do it at the shop so took it to the ramp and left it on the trailer. Yep, he was right. After about 10 minutes, the alarm sounded. Starboard bank was overheating. Now the hard part is figuring out why.

magster65

Commander

I think yes as well. <br />Trouble-shooting sometimes takes a bit of time so nobody should expect the mechanic/dealership to work for free during the trip to the testing area. Sort of a unique circumstance, most stuff can be diagnosed at a shop.<br />If they had a shop right by the water I'm sure the shop rate would be much higher to cover the increased 'overhead' costs.

Colorado Boat Nut

Seaman Apprentice

Many automotive shops will charge a diagnostic fee up front,However many times this i waved if you agree to have the repair's done<br /> i guess it just depends on the nature of the problem<br />if you have brake noise they may check your brakes for free <br />if you have a newer car and are having driveability issues and they have to plug in the computer well they will probably charge for that<br />just my 2 cents<br />CBN<br />(spent a few years in auto service)