New better prop for my Eska 5.5?

Rogue2

Cadet
Okay, so believe it or not my earlier problems with not being able to get full power from my 71 Eska 5.5 are solved. I am able to push full throttle and my motor runs very well. It's even a little more quiet. Now that full power and performance are there, can any one tell me if there is a more efficient, faster pushing prop out there I can put on it to make better use of its new found power. It seems like the little two blade prop on it now is not putting all available power to actually pushing the boat. I'm still new to this, so I?m sorry if this appears to be a silly question.

Thanks,
Matt

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: New better prop for my Eska 5.5?

It appears to be a silly question. But since you are new at this, you are excused. We've all been there at some time.

Rogue2

Cadet

It appears to be a silly question. But since you are new at this, you are excused. We've all been there at some time.

Chuckle... I asked for that.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chuckle... I asked for that.

To some extent yes. Let's try a little logic on the question---------

Assuming that your motor still has the original prop can you think of a reason that Eska wouldn't have equipped it with a prop that wasn't the most efficient?

Let's come at it from a different angle--------

Too small a prop to fully absorb the power would cause excessive RPMs, damage or destroy the motor or simply be slow in the best case scenario.

Too big a prop would overload the engine leading to overheating and engine damage once again and----again----be inefficient.

The only way to know for sure is to use a tach to see if the engine is turning at the top of the factory recommended RPM range at full throttle on the boat.

Bottom line----5 1/2 HP is STILL 5 1/2 HP no matter how you slice it!

Rogue2

Cadet

That's sort of what I was thinking. I just got the thing running good so I don't think I'll mess with it. I think I'll leave teh current one on there and just plan to get a new motor later on. Thanks.

M

mrcrabs

I need a smaller pitch on my 7.5 hp@5650 rpm but really I need a tiller extention to move my fat butt forward....which is what I would suggest if your not getting up to speed on a well tuned engine.

Rogue2

Cadet

So while we are on the subjuect or props, how do I get mine off? I took the kotter pin out and the nut off but it wouldn't budge. Is there a hidden pin on the thing somewhere?

M

mrcrabs

could be the shear pin or just rusted, use pb blaster and let it soak...

Rogue2

Cadet

What type of gear oil do I need for the gears down on the prop shaft? Also, will rtv liquid gasket maker work in place of the actual gasket down there?I know it's a little cheap but It seems like it should work.

M

mrcrabs

I know it's a little cheap but It seems like it should work.
Not a chance, you need to get or make a gasket and you need to replace the seals...not alot of $$ www.certifiedpartscorp.com, as for the gear lube use 80-90 marine gear lube and change it often