79 evinrude 35hp wont start

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice
first 1979 evinrude 35hp model 35952A
first time I have used stabil in my gas, motor was slightly hard to start before I did.maybe stabil marine loosened some crap that clogged my carb? I have a new fuel pump, removing the output fuel line from pump to carb, gas streams as I turn the engine. also gas squirted out as I removed hose. so pump should be OK. also fuel lines were replaced end of last season due to leaks. sprayed carb cleaner into carb, engine will start for 2 - 3 secs and die,
I even tried seafoam. any other way to prove its maybe the float stuck in up position, or am I too quick on the gun? am I stuck in having to rebuild carb, any tricks? I tried taping on the side of the carb, like I used to do to TV tubes, didnt help.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 79 evinrude 35hp wont start

Rebuild is easy and parts are readily available. Have you done a rebuild? 79 could have the old style float that will '' sink'' when exposed to alcohol. There is also the galvanic action of alcohol and water and gas that leaves a white residue on brass that sticks old style needles. Just did an 18 for the same symptoms. The 18 was too stuck for taping to be of any use. The time invested on a rebuild will pay back in MANY trouble free fishing trips!!!

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

Ahh sir Robin,
never did any carb rebuild before, this will be my first, ordered a rebuild kit, with a float, funny it happens after I mix stabil in the gas and ran it a few times, I have a manual , well one thing is for sure, buy an older engine, you get to learn a lot about the engines, just confused what to soak it in, some say not to soak in carb cleaner, will carb cleaner get the white residue off?

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

Stabil had nothing to do with your issues. Stabil is designed to be run all the time in your gas. I recommend it to al my customers and use it all the time and never had a complaint or concern.
It sounds as if your low speed jets are clogged up and you are making the right choice of rebuilding the carb. Not hard just make sure you chase all the passages with a syringe full of alcohol and do a good job of cleaning them all. Good luck!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Check the faqs for a thread by tashasdaddy on carb rebuild, will help for your first time

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the carb kits have an exploded view that makes for an easy build.I find that the choke/silencer box is the hardest........ The carb is all metal so carb cleaner is ok to use. Pay close attention to the main jet passageway, and use a twist tie to clean it and the main jet. There are venture holes on the side of the main jet tube that also need the same kind of attention. tashasdaddy faq is VERY helpful. I believe you'll find it is only 6 screws and 2 nuts........I know you can "git er done"

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

Just got the tracking email, kit will be here wednesday, main jet is behind the drain plug on the bowl? so are the holes are inside the bowl just above the main jet where the ORIFICE PLUG is? and my ex wife used to yell at me for saving used twist ties. found a screwdriver to make the orifice removal tool, there is a dimension missing from the pic's I 've seen here, 3/16 shaft and the thickness of the the end is 0.045 , but no one shows how long that 0.045 end should be

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes behind drain plug. Theholes are in orfice tube on the sides and will partialy stop up though they look clean. The jet tool will be self explanitory once you see it. The purpose is to remove the jet WITHOUT damage. The driver needs to fit the slot in the jet and tube in both width and thickness. Brass is easy to damage if the screwdriver is too narrow or too skinny. I know this because i busted my share:)

fjglotz

Recruit

trying to add a post for a simular problem...but the site wont let me post anything...can anyone tell me why?

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

Sir robin, been catfishing off the bank of the Capefear river, last two weeks been un lucky, lots of small cats cleaning the hooks, been using chicken livers, but mixed with garlic salt, some say put it in the sun a few hours , but better on the hook without, I do use "elastic thread" found in caft stores, 3 inches and wrap the liver with it as you streth it, holds the bait very well.
got the can of parts cleaner, o'reilly autoparts carries it on the self. did anyone post how to remove the carb, I see plastic things on linkages, I know they cant go in the soak, two bolts easy, linkage not so easy. 4 days till the kit, not going to start till it comes, want the carb remove fresh in the memory,

fjglotz, it is alittle confusing how to start a new thread here, did you you get it going, well the motor or the thread?

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Always good to have a fresh pull off. I have to do it too. Memory is as good as it used to be, Just a little SHORTER.......

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

ok , was going to start today, but got scared off on the removal, I have nightmares of removing screws and seeing springs fly, I see the 2 bolts to remove the carb, but what about the throtle linkage? where do I disconnect it? I see plastic retainer Ref# 37 how do I remove that?
here is the direct link to my carb http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1979/35952A%201979/CARBURETOR/parts.html can you point out what need to be removed by ref number? I know the choke solenoid bracket I need to mark on the solenoid to place it back the same place.

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, mark bracket is best, though its simply a matter of stroke length, ie enough movement to close butterfly all the way, Should be plastic retainer at linkage to "pop" out, and leave all springs in place.Then 2 nuts and its in your hand, 1/2 inch wrench, I think. Throttle arm and cam follower stay on carb
After that 4 screws om bowl and WAA LAA!
screw #24 will come out letting choke lever / knob free . Dont let it freak you out too bad,,,,lay parts out on table just as they come out. It really is a fun job, And you can say I DID IT when yur dunn:D

Last edited:

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

ok , carb is removed, ,,problem, main jet is damaged , wont come out, some rust in bowl chamber,, main problem was float was stuck to side of chamber, can see where it was rubbing. do I order a new bowl chamber, or is there a way to get the main jet out, ? screw extractor?

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Should be sloted to accept a flat blade screwdriver. One will have to be custom made that tightly fits the slot and narrow enough to fit in the hole. I made mine with a grinder. Using the wrong size will damage the jet, though a new one can be purchased. I usually just clean my jets with a wire smaller than the jet to clear the goop out along with a jet of air if id hole is not damaged, without removal.
What part of float rubs? It should be centered in the bowl. Did you get a kit with a new float? I needed a new float because mine was a "sink" Alcohol, a cork float killer!

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, how you doing? I didn't see a post of #$%^ &^#* springs flew EVERYWHERE, so you are doing ok? Get the jet clean?

mikevi

Seaman Apprentice

the main jet was damaged, it broke as I turned it with my home made tool, a drill and screw extractor got it out , but already ordered a new bowl, ordered the tool and new jet. Maybe we should advise others to use some lub/ wd40 on the threads before attempting removal of the main jet
Now one thing I dont see here is info on the core plugs, there are several, after I remove them , (drill a hole and use an awl to pry them),
How are the new ones fitted? do they just snap in with your finger, or is a tool needed to press them in?

Sir Robin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I line mine by hand, then tap in with plastic end of small screwdriver