Removing Splashwell in Starcraft 18 CC

Greetings,

So, I am in full resto mod with old floors, and foam removed. New floor is cut and epoxy is drying. I vacuumed out the old transom and need to replace as well. Only thing holding me up is the proper removal of the splashwell which covers the transom.

Have any of you experts ever had to deal? What's the best approach? Muscle it out of the way? Me thinks it might be atttached to the hull somehow,

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removing Splashwell in Starcraft 18 CC

you should be able to replace the transom without removing the splashwell. im going to be doing mine soon and i know of guys that have not removed it. good luck, CBG

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

post a picture if you can....and do a search for my threads about my transon reoval....my splashwell had to be removed for me to get at my transom,no if and or buts about that. If you look at my boat I have a VERY large and heavy splashwell and surprisinglys it was just help up but a bead of resin along its seam...i cut mine off with a sawzall and can very easily reattach it...but I think to make more room in the boat I may just build a new splashwell from scratch.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

post a picture if you can....and do a search for my threads about my transon reoval....my splashwell had to be removed for me to get at my transom,no if and or buts about that. If you look at my boat I have a VERY large and heavy splashwell and surprisinglys it was just help up but a bead of resin along its seam...i cut mine off with a sawzall and can very easily reattach it...but I think to make more room in the boat I may just build a new splashwell from scratch.

:eek: It's an aluminum boat DO NOT CUT IT OUT!! :eek:

Yes there are millions of screws (seems like millions ;)) just remove them along the splashwell where they attach........ once you re-insert the new transom you seal that splashwell and get the joy of re-installing the BILLION screws.

Once your corner caps are removed some people make a slight cut and bend the last small pieces of aluminum aside and remove the transom.

v8mgbal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello, I removed mine and it was not that hard to do. I don't know how it looks on your boat but it has made it alot easier to clean the area and you can see the pictures in my thread a couple threads down under 63 starcraft jupiter resto. good luck with whatever you decide to do:D

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with Bob VT, don't cut it. I removed mine just as described and it makes access to the hull a lot easier. When removing/replacing the transom, I removed 6 or 8 pop rivets along the gunnels and this allowed them to be propped up to pull the transom out. There was no need to bend or cut anything and if you are working on a tinny, goodness knows you are going to have a ton of pop rivets around anyway to replace them.

Floyd

sublauxation

Lieutenant

My Sylvan had about 2 dozen screws attached into the transom and about 1-2 dozen rivots attached to the top rail. Came out in half an hour easily. I replaced the splashwell with one much smaller and a big casting deck. I liked the boat before but without that splashwell I now love the boat. No problems with water coming over the back while skiing or back trolling. May be something to consider.

The splashwell in my boat was held onto the hull by two rivits and glue. (Once old transom screws removed) The rivits are located about an inch in from the foward edge. Pop those sucker out and whole bit can be taken out or in my case just moved forward to expose the transom "slot."

Onward... Thanks for the help and Oh yeah some pics. Check out the old pieces I was able to pull out.

Thanks for all the help. Will post more pics once the new floor and transom are in.

Attachments

• Starboard Splashwell 2.jpg
    Starboard Splashwell 2.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Old Transom.jpg
    Old Transom.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 4
  • New Transom before trimmed.jpg
    New Transom before trimmed.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 4