83 150 HP Johnson stops 60 seconds

Terry Ryan

Recruit
I have a 1983 150 HP Johnson that has been stored for a couple of years. I had the compression checked - it is 75-80 psi in all 6 cylinders. We can start and run the engine but at 60-65 seconds, it stops dead. Thoughts on what the issue is?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 83 150 HP Johnson stops 60 seconds

I would bet on fuel problems ,but,you should check that it gets spark on all 6,you didnt say if it ever gets high RPM or not.If fuel the 60 seconds is probably from what you squeeze in with the ball,that would ndicate a ,fuel restriction ,likely from dirty carbs,what is happining is your priming the eng by pressing the key,once that fuel is gone ,the engine cant get anymore because the carbs are dirty,you need to remove,disassemble ,soak in solution ,blow them out completely.Dirty carbs are classic from a sitting engine

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 83 150 HP Johnson stops 60 seconds

Possible that the fuel pump is not working. Engine runs from what is pumped into the bowls from the fuel hose bulb. When you get the engine started, keep priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force fuel around the pump into the carb bowls. If it keeps running, the pump is probably bad.