Optimax Rejects

herb boughn

Cadet
BUYER BEWARE. Bought a new 2010 Optimax and had problems with it first time I ran it. Misses at mid engine speeds. Also had broken plastic oil dip stick and a dock rub on rear of engine cover althought I've never had it near a dock. Back to the dealer ASAP and they tested THREE times and couldn't figure what was wrong. Started talking to factory and got song and dance and wanted me to take to another dealer BUT in meantime we discovered it was a factory reject (failed 15 minute test run). Local dealers want nothing to do with it and Mercury is waiting to see what Wisconsin Attorney General says. They will fight to the death rather than send a factory smart guy to hopefully fix. The only solution acceptable to me is a new engine. Should have known....was warned by a former major Mercury dealer test engines, demos, and rejects are boxed and sold to dealers at reduced prices and then passed on to the consumer. :mad::p

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Optimax Rejects

Wow, did the dealer you bought it from know it was a factory reject and did not tell you? Did they sell it to you full-price or on some sort of clearance? If on clearance/"fire sale", was the warranty valid?

I'd be pissed if there was no disclosure. That's many thousands of $, yes? Attorney and/or local TV news "troubleshooter" / consumer protector / gadfly person come to mind.

herb boughn

Cadet

No disclosure and I paid full suggested retail of $9999.00. The damage was my first clue everything was not right in River City. I'm going to let AG figure out who the bad guy is BUT I suspect Mercury because engine test certification was crossed out. Wouldn't make sense for dealer to do it unless part of agreement between them & Merc?

merc850

Commander

This is a story that makes a Mercury owner/collector wonder what they are doing there??? Just one more bad Merc that chrysler, brp, yamaha, suzuki, honda owners can point to and say "I'll never own one!". If Mercury is trying to put itself out of business then why not just sell to sea-doo while there is still some credibility left.

As far as I'm concerned we buy enough foreign made products and have enough suppliers from overseas; ngk, for instance, may make gold plated stainless steel spark plugs that start your motor for you, but I'll buy Champions 'cause they're domestic.

Keep us notified!

herb boughn

Cadet

Had written very long reply but computor dumped. Short story is Brian from Merc showed up, He and local mechanic spent four hours and some parts (coils, senders, poppet, therostat, etc). A therostat that was improperly built had been installed. Computor thought motor was always cold and dumped too much fuel in. Was O.K. on hose test BUT failed running on water testing. Motor runs well now BUT someone at MERC has to settle rest of issue. MOTOR COULD NOT HAVE PASSED IT'S RUN IN TEST WITH IMPROPERLY BUILT THEROSTAT. Will advise outcome. Don't get mad, get even! :D:)