Rich Lean Mixture Dial on front of Johnson

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 50 hp Johnson from 1970 *I believe, it's the 50 anniversary edition. Anyways, it just had a total carb rebuild by a mechanic. Running great now; however, there is a dial at the front of the motor that says rich/ lean. When putting on the tarp to cover the boat I bumped it out of place and I have no idea where the mechanic had it.

Where should I place this dial and how significant is its placement in the terms of boat operation? Can I hurt the boat motor now that it's off the position he had it? Any insight into this would be great. Should it be placed more towards rich/ lean/ or in the middle?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rich Lean Mixture Dial on front of Johnson

Adjust as per Joe Reeves thread in the FAQs, his thread is well worth a read. Good Luck

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, appreciate the link. I'm not sure I should mess with it if it's running fine. Sounds like I could gum up the carbs that were just rebuilt potentially.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If you are sure that it has been moved, it will need to be properly set. If you are not comfortable adjusting it, Im sure the mechanic would not mind setting it quickly for you if you ask politely ;)

Mine is set in the middle. That's where my mechanic said to keep it.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Most of those adjusters have a limited travel due to a detente of some description...you really only get +/- 1/2 turn free adjustment.
To get full adjusting ability you need to take the (usually) plastic knob off and set the needle to the correct spot, then put the knob back on...usually, and correctly, at the mid-point.

Assuming that your mechanic knows his stuff, I would give him the benefit of the doubt, figure that he replaced the knob in the corect spot, and go from there.

Soooooo, what i would suggest is carefully and gently, determine what full travel is on that knob from Rich to Lean...and set it at the mid-point. i'd bet you will be fine with that; should take ~ 10 seconds and motor does not need to be running....:)