8hp johnson exhaust water/carburetor

leda259

Cadet
hey small outboard afficionados-

I am doing my best to keep two 1988 engines running: 1) J8RCCS 2)E8RCCS. keeping the carbs clean has been an adventure with i suppose ethanol related nonsense but i digress. both of these bad boys are running. sort of. have full service manuals. used on the dinghy for the big boat.

1) the J is blowing pretty good white steam looking like exhaust out of the exhaust port on the stern side midsection port with no water spray.... strong water from pee hole and not steaming hot. do i have an issue with no spray from upper? if so please point me in the right direction as to investigate and i pray your response does not include "remove lower unit" as i have been there, done that and don't want to go back. the E sibling blows some water through the midsection port which is why i ask.

2) so with all my screwing around i finally cracked the plastic carb cover on the E . the particular piece is the corner where the cam follower roller thingy attaches (ok, i'll admit to attempting to reinstalling the cam follower roller barrel bolt while forgetting the thick washer in case you are wondering how in the heck did this bozo actually cracked the cover). it holds with an epoxy repair for a while but what the heck why not replace the cover, right? well, these carbs changed midyear and two carb covers were used (early/late production). the cracked cover is the non-low speed needle screw type (fwd port side of cover). that cover shows as obsolete on parts' lists. the cover which is available is the low speed needle type but the required low speed needle which is required to complete the swap is obsolete. what's up with that? am i doomed to living with the epoxy repair or is there some way out of this and still have two good engines? Parts seem to hit or miss on this vintage. both carb bodies are identical.

i also am running a 10RL74S. All three of these guys are in decent condition but given the state of the small engine repair business, i am pretty much on my own keeping them humming. i like old stuff, am cheap and find the work mostly entertaining......mostly. lots more metal on the 74 9.9hp J Sea Horse and the fastback look is cool.

any help appreciated.

tom

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 8hp johnson exhaust water/carburetor

1) is the motor overheating?

2) call these guys for the NLA part:

SEA-WAY MARINE, INC
2501 Harbor Ave SW
Seattle WA 98126

PHONE # 206-937-7373
FAX # 206-937-1787

leda259

Cadet
Re: 8hp johnson exhaust water/carburetor

thanks for the sea way heads up bk. i actually responded yest but i guess the post never found its way. i misidentified the j. it is the J8RCEC. thermo housing is different and ignition system is sans power pack. the e carb cover was superceded by new carb cover kit with new # (0436342 if anyone is interested. best price from boats.net).

i am convinced that the j is running way too hot inspite of good flow from inspection jet. i opened up the thermostat and it looks beat. saw no movement to open in boiling water so i have ordered new. that should do it.

now i know that inspection flow and actual cooling function are unrelated. i should have known this obviously. the e inspection jet was actually quite cool while the j was quite hot. minimal run time in hot condition so i think i will be ok.

very helpful having two quite similar engines for learning purposes.

thanks again.