72 3 cyl 650 Mercury Motor hesitating.

ipharry

Recruit
My motor is hesitating when hot and neg. to battery is getting very hot. Is there a connection or are both different problems? What do I need a new coil or rectifier ...? Any help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 72 3 cyl 650 Mercury Motor hesitating.

Sounds like the battery cables are loose.It could possibly need the impeller changed.Do a compression/spark test.
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram J

ipharry

Recruit

Good compression, new impeller, new tank hose, new battery cables (4 gage), and checked out fuel filter. Will be checking out the carbs soon and getting a new rectifier. Will post the news. Thanks.

ipharry

Recruit

Rebuilt carbs now, and put in a different rectifier. Checked the voltage and it's jumping back and forth from .5 to 19v. Is this good or...?

ipharry

Recruit

I know I'm not getting any replies but I have one more question. Is the Starter supposed to ground to both the ground post and the "hot" post?(Grounding to the frame to post) It does on mine and my mech. said it wasn't supposed to but I think that it will through the brushes anyway. Yes or no? Thanks