1973 Mercury 850 Thunderbolt dies out when installing the fuel line.......

SHOWOFF

Recruit
First off this is my first post, boat, and motor. I have just bought a 1973 Larson Shark 1650 with a Mercury 850 Thunderbolt. I am no mechanic by trade but am very mechanically inclined. With that being said he we go!!!

FYI I have had my boat out 10 time prior with no problems until today. I am just about to launch so I go to connect my twist connect fuel line and place the choke in the middle where I normally do to start. I crank it over and nothing happens but then it fires, ruff idles for 10 seconds, and dies.

I increase the choke and squeeze the bulb a few more times but still with the same effect. I thought I might have flooded the engine? However I noticed gas coming out from under my engine just next to the gas line on the right like I have a leak in the tubing. In fact it is like a steady stream pouring out.

So I take off the fuel line to inspect it, but I see no leaks. The tubing actually looks pretty new in fact all the way down to the gas tank. Since I thought I might have flooded it I tried to start it after the fuel stopped leaking and sure enough no problem runs like a champ. I go to put the fuel line back on and it dies almost instantly.

Seriously I must have did this 5 times with every time having the same outcome. I finally got so frustrated :mad: I pulled my boat back out of the water.

I have read a few posts and some say it might be the floats are stuck open and the gas just dumps in the carburetor flooding the engine????

Any Ideas??? Thanks in advance..... :D

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Mercury 850 Thunderbolt dies out when installing the fuel line.......

does fuel bulb get firm or does it just pump up and leak down immediately, I would investigate fuel connection from your post maybe a faulty connection or connector. the choke on my 77" 850 is a solenoid on or off. I have found this engine loves fuel and is pretty hard to flood.

SHOWOFF

Recruit

The bulb does stay hard and maintains good pressure. It seems to only leak out from the center not the actual connector. It only leaks out when the motor is trimmed up too I just noticed. If I have it all the way down it doesn't leak out but still just dies.

When I bought the boat I never did get a run down of how it all worked just more a less a talk on you'll figure it out. So that choke on my 850 is also a solenoid. I never really needed to use the solenoid choke just used the manual lever to adjust the rpms when starting the engine.

I did press it a few times but I don't see how an open or closed choke solenoid would make a pee like stream come out from the middle of my engine. With this being said I am still under the impression and my gut feeling is their might be a float stuck open in one of the carbs.

chadly

Cadet

I just had that same problem with my 1150. Ended up needing the carbs rebuilt. 1 of my floats had a hole in it and would stay down causing it to flood. Now she runs like a champ:)