What to do when there is water in my oil

surferguy001

Seaman
my stepdad says he has water in his oil (mercruiser 260) and wants to know what to do. From research, it sounds like its most likely a blown head gasket. What are the negative affects of this, and what can he do to correct this problem?

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: What to do when there is water in my oil

If it sits too long the water will rust up the engine internals, if water got into cylinder thats even worse to be just sitting.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Your research is probably wrong.

Head gaskets rarely blow on a marine open cooling engine. Its most likely a cracked block,cracked exhaust manifold,leaking intake.

I know its not what you want to hear, but thems the breaks...

Bondo

Staff member

Head gaskets rarely blow on a marine open cooling engine. Its most likely a cracked block,cracked exhaust manifold,leaking intake.

Ayuh,.... Or Rusted out if it's a Saltwater boat...

NHGuy

Captain

Car engines get failed head gaskets causing coolant and oil to mix. It's not as common on boats. If your research is boat related then get the water out of the engine right away and get some marvel mystery oil in the combustion chambers so they don't rust up. Then either pull the head you suspect or look into the other possibility which is cracks in the engine block. If this engine is stored in cold country during winter, block cracks can happen from failed winterization.

surferguy001

Seaman

his boat is only used in freshwater. we live near san diego where the weather rarely goes below 50 even during the winter. He has been using the boat every week this summer. where can he buy that stuff to put in the cylinders: jamestown distributers?

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

Hardware store. I would hurry and get this done. Maybe if your lucky it is just a gasket or exhaust manifold. You need to get that milkshake out of there asap.

surferguy001

Seaman

when you guys say get the water out of the engine, do you mean draining the manifolds and oil pan or is there more to it?