1972 65 won't start

ErikF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

This motor was running great prior to replacing the pump impeller in the lower unit, when we changed the impeller we also replaced the two cables going to the shift solenoid as they were very work and falling apart in our hands.

When we got the motor back together it would not start with the key switch and the switch for the electric choke would not do anything. I took a wire and made a jumper across the solenoid and the motor cranked.

I did not do anything past this as I wanted to ask in case I'm missing something simple.

Thanks,

Erik

fisherman912

Cadet
Re: 1972 65 won't start

Backtrack on any electrical wiring that was disconnected during the repairs. Check that they are all correct and most important, check for a good ground at key switch and solenoid. Don't assume the ground is good, confirm it with a test light. Also check the key switch for power and the kill switch if equipped.

It may be something as simple as a bad ground wire connection. Based on your info, something is not quite like it was before.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 65 won't start

there's a 20amp fuse, in an inline fuseholder, on the powerhead, close to the main wiring harness plug....if it blows, you get no power to the keyswitch.........