Hole on my valve cover

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi yall, i've got a bit aof a dilema. I have 165 hp MerCruiser. It's a straight six in an 18' Mark Twain that I just purchased a couple of weeks ago. And the other day I was working on it and I could not help but notice there is a hole on my valve cover. It strikes me as the one you see on older cars that have about a one inch wide line running from the air filter to the valve cover. Is this correct? And should there be anything there covering it. The boat seems to be working fine.

D

DJ

Re: Hole on my valve cover

water,<br /><br />Does it have a PCV valve on it? That's what that hole would be for.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope there is no pvc there. Just a hole with some rubber deal on it. But you can see straight into into the motor. I have looked at my Seloc manual but there is nothing there about th :confused: is.

D

DJ

water,<br /><br />That is where the PCV is supposed to be.<br /><br />Go to the auto parts store and buy a PCV valve for that engine (GM 250 cid) and a piece of tubing. If you do not have a fitting on the air cleaner for a tube, you probably have a capped off vacuum fitting on the intake or at the carb. base.

tylerin

Commander

That hole should have a hose on it that goes to your spark arrestor (like air filter on carb). My boat has on on each side that goes to the spark arrestor

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much gentelmen. I will head on over to o'Reily's today and get that taken care of. ;)