Left outdrive down in slip--ok?

everichon

Recruit
Newbie boat-owner here.

We left our boat moored for the week, and driving home realized that we didn't raise the outdrive.

Is this a big deal? We'll be using it again come this weekend.

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Left outdrive down in slip--ok?

I see outdrives left down for months at a time. I don't think a week is gonna kill ya...

Adjuster

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is general consensus that you should always leave your outdrive down when wet slipped unless your concerned about a low draft and the drive bouncing off the bottom during wake or tide. Leaving the outdrive down will help prevent growth on the bellows in saltwater and will prevent rodent chewing of the bellows in freshwater. Critters like muskrats etc love to chew the rubber bellows and have caused thousands of boat sinkings. Also if you already possibly have a slow leaking bellows the outdrive in the down position will compress the bellows and may slow an existing leak. An outdrive in the up position stretches and puts stress on the bellows. An outdrive in the up position is more likely to be struck or in some other way damaged than an outdrive tucked into the transom or below a swim platform.

everichon

Recruit

Excellent, thanks. Now I know to be attentive to bellow condition, too!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

With the outdrive up, it's also easier to get sticks and other floating debris stuck between the transom and outdrive. Could be a mess when you try to put the outdrive back down.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

others note that this does not pertain to outboards; better to leave them up. But no harm if you forget for a short while; just marine growth.

TilliamWe

Banned

It is general consensus that you should always leave your outdrive down when wet slipped unless your concerned about a low draft and the drive bouncing off the bottom during wake or tide...

More than a concensus, it's the way to do it. ;)

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My outdrive stays down the entire season in the slip. SUpposed to be easier on the bellows.

KermieB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I leave my outdrive down when I'm driving down the interstate... the sparks coming off of it look really cool......

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my boats previous owner had trouble lowering one of the b2 drives, so he left it up, a lump of wood floated between it and the transom, and when he finally got around to fixing the relay and lowering the drive the mercathode unit was damaged, and he didnt know

so for months it sat with out protection, long story short it cost him a transom shield and a propellor, so defiantly leave the drives down when moored

plus the trim rams are then protected from corrosion

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

On my dock every I/O has the outdrive down...