Moosehead Lake, ME question

cjac2879

Seaman
To anyone that has been there, or lives in the region, I am heading up there in mid Oct. to vacation for 4 days.. I live in the White Mountains of NH, so it will be a roughly 4 hr drive.. Is it worth the extra gas money, time, and hassle to tow my boat up there (17' Bayliner Capri 85hp), or should I just leave it home.

Im not looking to swim, or tube or anything, just to cruise the lake, or will a canoe be good enough to do a little exploring??

Thanks

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Moosehead Lake, ME question

There is no way I would be going there without a powerboat!:D That lake , if memory serves, is something like 35 miles by about 20 miles wide.

I admit, canoeing around would be cool, but that is just too much water to explore via just a paddlepower. Besides, you may be able to rent / borrow one while you are there if you want to paddle around for a nice quiet morning...

Are you renting a cabin/ lodge or roughing it?

Either way , yes, I would go through the extra gas, trouble, hassle to bring your boat up there. That is what it is for!!!!:p

cjac2879

Seaman

Ok thanks Marlboro..

Yes we are renting a cabin right on the lake.. Lily bay to be exact. Cant wait

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have fun up there, love Maine in the fall. Post pics when you get back;)

NHGuy

Captain

I'd call ahead to one of the marinas. The Moosehead web page I was just reading says they draw down the water enough to create hazards to navigation at low pool. And the draw down starts mid August.

dkg

Cadet

Not only that but with so little rain this summer, the lake is already at a very low level for this time of year. Right now, many boats can't come to our dock with the motor down due to the water level. We are all grumbling and mad at Florida Power & Light since they are the party responsible for controlling the lake level (go figure). As I understand it, FP&L is not supposed to start the draw down of the lake until after mid-September but for many years it has been happening much earlier than that. On a positive note, the last two years, the lake level has come back up in October for some reason.

I would still want a powerboat since there is a lot to explore. Then again, we know where most of the hazards are since we have lived here for 10 years now -- we own Beaver Cove Camps just a little South of Lily Bay. :)

cjac2879

Seaman

Think im just gonna take the canoe up for this trip.. I was worried about the lake level to begin with, now with the dry summer it is obviouslly worse... Ill bring it up next time.

Thanks for the input guys