1976 Ford 351w will not start when warm

prfaneuf

Recruit
I just replaced my Ford 302 engine in my 1975 boat with a rebuilt Ford 233, (351W motor). I am having an issue that I cannot track down. Initially, I adjusted the distributor by ear. The motor ran pretty good but lacked a little power on top end. I didn?t push it because it is still in break in.
I put timing light on it and saw it was stuck 29 degrees. It was not advancing at all. It would however, start right up and run smooth. I set timing to 10 degrees and it still was not advancing. Okay, I removed distributor and discovered that the mechanical weights were rusted and springs shot.

I took apart distributor, removed all rust and replaced springs with the ones from the 302 distributor. The weights spring back when pulled apart and everything is free.

Reinstalled the distributor, started motor, warmed up and set timing to 12 degrees and points to .14 with feeler guage. Timing advances nicely with RPM. At 2000 it is in the 20?s and 2600 it is 29 degrees and goes back to 10 at idle. Idle is set for 600 rpm according to tach. It purrs like a kitten and has tremendous power.

The problem is it will not start back up once it runs. It even has a hard time turning over when it get warm. Rurr? rurr. And then the starter kicks in but no start. Moved timing back to 20 and it turn over better but still will not start after running. I even tired starting it, setting timing to 10 degrees, let it idle for 5 minutes and turn it off and still no start. Battery is new. Starter was rebuilt. I also just replaced carb with a brand new one.

One thing, when adjusting the distib if I turn to the left I max out at about 10and it has very little movement ccw at 10 degrees, it is very free to turn to the right CW with huge adjustments. Could I be off a tooth?

I notice other posts where timing is the issue. Any ideas? I am now looking for a brand new marine distrib. I do not think vapor lock. I do not think I am flooding either. Before freeing distributor weights I could turn off and restart without touching the gas at idle. I can hear gas squirting if I pump throttle as well .

Wires and plugs, points and cap are new as well.

THx

Jaysad

Seaman
Re: 1976 Ford 351w will not start when warm

Check out the chock?
Maybe a 180 degrees off?
Firing order... the 302L is diffrant than a 302HO, and the HO is the same as the 351...?

This is the next up grade for me!!!:D

haulnazz15

Captain

Well, the BTDC setting should be 10-deg. Remember that the 302/351 dizzy spins CCW, so advancing the timing would mean spinning the dizzy CW. I would check to make sure your cables are not corroded from the battery to the solonoid and to the starter.

Danny Mc

Seaman

I set those points on .019. or 28 degree dwell.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

have you had the light on it while trying to start it?