Merc XRI power trim

Rookers

Recruit
Power trim acting up. '95 - 150 XRI Black Max - when in neutral trim goes up and down sometimes, when it doesnt - I can hear clicks. When in forward and giving gas, trimming up takes time but does work. Batteries are charged. Very flakey, sometimes in neutral trimming down it shutters sometimes it doesnt.
Any input appreciated.
thanks,
Ron

bkosel

Recruit
Re: Merc XRI power trim

I have been problems with my mercy tilt/trim and have found a couple things that you might want to check out:

1. do you have enough fluid
2. have you checked the relays?

Rookers

Recruit

Fluid is good, been doing a lot of research. Merc in question has 3 solinoids. One for engine which I replaced two years ago, one for power trim up and one for down. Solinoids can be bought at auto shop for fraction of price marina will charge. Will change solinoids on weekend. Have you ever looked at "Big Fat Bass" join it . . .
thanks for input !

Rookers

Recruit

Now with the better weather I can get to my power trim. Solinoids are all good. But still no trim . . . Not even a buzz or click . . . frustrating ! Any ideas ? Last resort, into the shop !
Thanks,

aussieflash

Lieutenant Junior Grade

could be air in system,leak,motor shot(trim).Now if its doing nothing,it could be switch dirty or bad wiring.You need to eliminate all these causes.You could try tapping gently on motor while someone operates switch,then if motor moves its shot.grab a multimeter and manual and test.