2 burned up starter solenoids in 1 week, HELP.

Vincentgould

Seaman Apprentice
1992 ford 302 5.0 OMC I/O Cobra.
Is there any reason that the solenoid would stick other than the ignition switch at the key being faulty? (I tested the switch and it works fine...

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 2 burned up starter solenoids in 1 week, HELP.

Is the starter staying constantly engaged?

If it is, check to see if you have B+ voltage at the trigger wire to the solenoid. The presence of B+ when the key is not at the start position would mean something is back feeding constant B+ voltage to the solenoid, or the switch it self is faulty.

If its a matter of solenoids burning up quickly, maybe the starter is tired and is pulling too much amperage than what the solenoid is rated for. Also check your battery connections, and make sure they are clean.

Vincentgould

Seaman Apprentice

Could be a tired starter. Never had a starter that worked but didn't work. Good one. Battery cables are clean and have no issues. How do I check for the extra amperage on the starter?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

In the case of on old starter, there are several things that can wear out, yet the starter still may work. Worn out bushings, brushes, commutator, or a short somewhere in the armature windings will cause excessive amp draw.

Honestly, unless you own an amp meter that can handle 200+ amps with out blowing fuses or melting wires, testing it by your self isn't going to happen. Perhaps if you brought it to a place that rebuilds starters they can check the load draw. Autozone offers checks on alternators, and possibly starters, so thats another possibility. Obviously you wouldn't want to get a starter from Autozone for your boat though (I honestly wouldn't want to buy a starter for anything from Autozone). If your starter is the 1992 vintage unit, I would suggest replacing it anyway for piece of mind. Using a comparable marine grade replacement unit goes with out saying.

occarvers

Seaman Apprentice

I had a run away starter on my 84 Volvo Aq 125. I took the starter in to get it rebuilt and at first it tested fine. He just hit it with 12 volts to the solenoid and starter motor, no amp test. He then said a "stuck solenoid" could be caused by a low voltage to the starter. The low voltage condition could be caused by dirty battery cables, bad battery, faulty connections at the starter, or the starter itself. He then took mine apart and it was full of corrosion.( I just got this boat this spring no idea how long it has sat). I installed the new stater and it stuck too!! The problem was the spade connector from the relay to the starter did not fit the terminal tight enough. I crimped the connector a little with a pair of pliers and problem solved! I am glad this happened the way it did, I would not have known my starter was about to puke!

zbnutcase

Commander

And there has been a bunch of cheap chinese Ford style solenoids flooding the aftermarket. I had THREE! recently, in a row that stuck shut the first time they were energized.

Vincentgould

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone know where I can score a high amperage quality solenoid?

occarvers

Seaman Apprentice

Update, took the boat out last night and the starter ran away again! Turned out to be a bad relay. $17.00 at Autozone.

Vincentgould

Seaman Apprentice

And there has been a bunch of cheap chinese Ford style solenoids flooding the aftermarket. I had THREE! recently, in a row that stuck shut the first time they were energized.

Did you find a good quality one yet?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Check out this company's solenoids http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/H-Relays.pdf. We would install this brand in the Ford ambulances we worked on, when I was turning wrenches at an independent auto shop. They were made in the U.S. at the time (hopefully they still are), and for obvious reasons had to work with out problems. It looks like they may have some marine grade offerings.

Vincentgould

Seaman Apprentice

Check out this company's solenoids http://www.colehersee.com/pdf/H-Relays.pdf. We would install this brand in the Ford ambulances we worked on, when I was turning wrenches at an independent auto shop. They were made in the U.S. at the time (hopefully they still are), and for obvious reasons had to work with out problems. It looks like they may have some marine grade offerings.

Thank you!