1984 merc brown band 50 Control question

Cheaptoon

Cadet
Hello folks Ive got a 1984 mercury 50hp motor, I ve just recently purchased a pontoon boat that has later model controls on it (probably late 90 or better).My question is will these controls work on my older motor? And if so anything too funky to do? Thanks ahead for the advice. Not sure if i Metioned the newer controls are merc as well.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1984 merc brown band 50 Control question

The throttle and shift cables will work. The electrical may or may not be the same, depending on the year. The electrical can be grafted, if you can find the parts. Do you still have your old wiring harness? if so, you can graft it's wires to the new harness, if necessary

Cheaptoon

Cadet
Re: 1984 merc brown band 50 Control question

Yes I still have the old controls as well,I could use them if nesseccery,Thing is the newer controls are the one where the shifter is on the right of the control box where it canbe mounted to the side of the console and are already in place, I have no problem making any connections if need be,just hope it is plug and play, If i get a seloc manual will the wiring diagram be in there?....Again thanks for all replies