Fasteners for aluminum boat

rebuild25

Recruit
Ok gentlemen advice time. I've had to drill out some perfectly good rivets to remove the floor and transom of my 16ft Starcraft. It pained me to do this but there was no other way to get everything out. I'm almost to the point were I'll be putting these pieces back in and need to order or buy some fasteners. Do I go back with solid rivets which will require an air hammer and a friend to hold a bucking tool on the other side of the rivet or do I just get some stainlees screws and nuts with washers? Some of the areas where the rivets or screws need to go are below the water line. With either method I would dip the fastener in Gluvit or 5200 before securing them down. Any thoughts?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Fasteners for aluminum boat

On my aluminum riveted canoe I've used phillips head stainless steel machine screws with nyloc nuts and washers, as needed, and they work great with no leaks or getting loose. I put the phillips head on the outside of the hull and it looks and acts just like a rivet head. Ace Hardware keeps a good selection of the stainless fasteners. Good Luck!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Get a BOX of stainless steel screws and go to town. I purchased so many SS screws when I restored my Starcraft I found it was cheaper by the box.

rebuild25

Recruit

Ok I like the idea of stainless screws and nylon nuts. One concern. I've heard that the stainless can react with the aluminum and cause galvanic corrosion. Any truth to that.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You can also get closed end pop rivets that don't have a hole going all the way through them like a conventional pop rivet.

phantomv170

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking for rivets to attach my new 5/8 deck, and found these plywood rivets,

http://www.thecliplink.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=2276

But when I contacted the company, they said they are not available. Anyone know where I can find these in stock. They seem very hard to find.
I guess my alternative is to screw the deck down. I dont really want to use screws if I dont have to.