viking 9.6 wot bogs

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys i have a 70 viking 9.6 that runs great.

my quesdtion is i put the boat in the water today and in nuetral wot is there in reverse its there and in forward it bogs down really bad. i cant get it to plane.

is the motor mounted to close to the transom?

any help would be great

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: viking 9.6 wot bogs

Have you checked the fuel pump? Post pics of the transom and the cavitation plate,close up and lots of angles.
Ethanol is messing up a lot of motors.It's delaminating the inside of older hoses causing clogs in the carbs and fuel filter.Check for soft hoses and junk in the filter on the motor.Check the diaphram.
Is it spitting water,maybe getting hot?
Check these things and post your results. J

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

To be honest I don't even know where the fuel pump is on any outboards. It is spitting out water, is it suppose to be a stream or just spitting ?

Any and all help is appreciated

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey guys do you think that this 9.6 would be good enough for a 14 foot deep and wide?

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like a fuel problem to me, i'd check float settings and for clogs, like filter

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so i looked and measured my transome and my engine from the top of the transom to the bottom of the motor its almost 25 3/4 inches so i belive it is a long shaft witch reequires a minimum of a 20 inch transome.

so all in all i am 3 inches short if that is the right way of looking at it. can anyone tell me more.

i looked at some pictures on mercurys website for setting up and outboard and the bottom of the boat is higher than the top fin above the prop by about 3 inches or so.

can anyone tell me if this is true?

thanks

xtremefisher1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look in the URL I provided in one of my other posts . That's the best I can take with my cell