Weird. Got little hot. Then normal. Checked t-stat now won't crank from key.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer
Went out today for a few hours. Boat ran great. While I was cursing at about 3800 RPMs I looked down at the gauges and temp was at about 180. It usually sits around 140-150 as I'm pretty sure there's a 140 t-stat in it.

So I go to idle and the temp comes back down to normal in about 1-2 mins. So after that I sit for a min at idle. Check the drive makin surenothing is stuck on the water intakes.

All looks good so I start going again but slow watching the temp gaige like a hawk. It stays in normal temp. So I get up on plane and for the rest of the day it stays in normal temp range. Never breaking 150.

When I get back to the dock I start thinking something might have gotten stuck in the t-stat or housing.

I take the housing off and look and there is nothing in there. I put it back on and tried to start it to make sure there were no leaks as I reused the gasket cause I didn't have one on me.

I try to start it and nothing. It won't crank. All other electronics are on and gauges are working. So I jump start it from the started sol and it fires right up and runs fine. Stays in temp range. Turn it off try to start by the key and again nothing.

What's up with this? Could this be the temp sender causing it not to start? Could the sender be what caused the high reading today? Think I got something in the cooling system that temp blocked something making it get warmer for a min?

T-stat looked fine and only has 30 hours on it.

I still couldn't get it to start from the key. And the only thing I did was take the t-stat housing off and check for obstructions.

LAC_STS

Re: Weird. Got little hot. Then normal. Checked t-stat now won't crank from key.

Impeller was changed in March.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Weird. Got little hot. Then normal. Checked t-stat now won't crank from key.

...where's your lanyard?

LAC_STS

Don't have one

NHGuy

Captain

Make sure there's a good ground to the stat housing, I know on my Merc that can cause gauge trouble, does yours need that to run? Try just grounding the stat housing with a wire or something and see if she cranks.
Barring that just go through the starter circuit.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...you ARE in neutral, aren't you? :)

LAC_STS

Yea checked that. All I did was take the 2 bolts out of the the t-stat housing, flipped it over and inspected it, then put it back on. Then tried to start the engine to make sure it wasn't going to leak.

The temp gauge is working with the key on so I'm pretty sure it's grounded but I will check that that anyways when I go to the boat tom.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.....seriously now,

It's gotta be something dirt simple. Before you question your sanity, break out the ol' multimeter and read across the ignition switch, neutral interlock, shift interrupt switch, etc. :)

LAC_STS

I agree. I just re read over the "testing your starting system" in the "tech info for DIYers"

I'm gonna go check it out tom morning.

Did you get your battery situation figured out from the electrical forum here? Sounded like a battery not holding charge in there?

The sending unit for your temp gauge has nothing to do with the starting system.

If your jumping the starter solenoid and it cranks over, then it's either not getting power from the switch or has a bad connection (needs cleaning).

LAC_STS

It cranked just like normal when I jumped the starter. My question in the elec forum was about my second batt not getting charged but found out that it is getting charged the batt is just bad.

The boat has always run fine on the first batt as it's nearly new. And when I jumped the starter it cranked like nothing was wrong and fired right up.

There is something stupid that is causing key ignition not to start it.

I triple checked all the really stupid stuff like it being in N and the batt switch. And when I jumped the starter it cranked and started just fine.

I was just thinking that if something went bad what's the chances of it happening when I check the t-stat?

It was getting dark when all this happened so I couldn't troubleshoot it right then but I will go start in the morning.

Sounded like you already have a digital mulit meter from that electrical post. Rig up some aligator clips on the test leads if it doesn't come with any so you can attach it to the solenoid and ground and see if it is getting power when turning the key at the front of the boat. If you are alone you can postition the meter so you can see it.

Can also test the terminal output at the ignition switch itself to see if power is there. could be a bad ignition switch or just need the contacts cleaned on the circuit to the solenoid.

Bring the meter on the boat with you when you are out. If it happens to you again that is the best time to test it. So long as you know how to jump the solenoid you will not be stranded.

LAC_STS

Does anyone have a clue what would cause the engine to heat up almost 30-40 degrees above what I've ever saw it then after put into N for a min then run at reg temp for the rest of the day?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Does anyone have a clue what would cause the engine to heat up almost 30-40 degrees above what I've ever saw it then after put into N for a min then run at reg temp for the rest of the day?

Got a plastic bag caught around your drive and then it floated away.