How Do I Get this Off The Boat

SangerTom

Seaman
The guy I bought my boat from told me he put one of those keel guards on the boat. Came off the first time out in the water but it left the glue on the bottom of the boat. We (the previous owner and I) have tried Goo Gone, acetone, razor blades but that c#$* won't come off. (Scraping with a blade does but I'm worried about the gel coat). Attached a picture.

If anyone has an idea - sure would love it.:confused:

Attachments

• Denyses 50th 022.jpg
    Denyses 50th 022.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: How Do I Get this Off The Boat

Maybe try softening it up with a heat gun and scrape it off with a plastic putty knife?

Worst case, put another keel guard back on. Obviously it wasn't installed correctly the first time.

zip34788

Seaman

I had a similar situation when replacing a transducer. Some epoxy adhesives simply will not come off. Your only option may be to sand, fill and re-gelcoat.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

non epxoy adhesives can be removed by using a heat gun, then immediately use acetone on it, it should come right off. Epoxy can be taken off with a steady hand and a dremel tool using a barrel sander attachment, hit it lightly with a buffer and some rubbing compound afterward.

SangerTom

Seaman

Thanks - will try the heat gun and look for the eraser wheel. I have some epoxy remover from my decorative concrete days - will try that - didn't think of it before.