1989 evinrude 50hp hard starting

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1989 50hp evinrude pro series. I rebuilt the carbs the right way and replaced the fuel lines from the vro to the carbs. It will crank and cranks then it will start briefly. Then stall like is out of gas. It will do this a few times then start blow a massive cloud of smoke and leave a big old slick of gas but it will run fine. When it?s warm I don?t have these problems. It does have a big miss at 2500 rpm range every once in a while but most of the time its fine. Looking for some input in to the problem its seems to be getting worse. Thanks

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1989 evinrude 50hp hard starting

What is your typical start procedure? Best of luck. Rick.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

my typical starting procedure is I will lower motor in to the water till level with the water.I will squeeze the primer bulb till hard. open the vent on my gas tank then push the key in to prime the motor and turn at the same time.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Maybe to lean of a setting on the carb may consider a little richer setting.

Rick.

Captain

So that massive cloud of smoke indicates to me that your not lean but in fact flooding your engine. I've been having a heck of a time starting a new to me 1995 40 HP Johnson. I pulled the plugs after one no start and they were soaked with fuel. The last two times out it has started just dandy but I've been trying a different start method. I was doing the same start procedure as you. Now I do this. Same as you right up til you push in the key for the primer. Now I turn the key (without priming) and let the engine crank over and after a second or two I just bump the key in and out. It fires just fine and if it sounds like it needs another bump I'll give it one. No more flooding. I can't tell you how frustrating and embarrassing it has been to have to drop my 4 HP Evinrude kicker to move away from the launch. Anyway I would recommend you give my way a try. For the rest of the day it fires right up without any prime at all. That is part of the reason I have had a hard time figuring out what's happening because it is a problem only on the first start (cold start) of the day. Rick.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So that massive cloud of smoke indicates to me that your not lean but in fact flooding your engine. Now I turn the key (without priming) and let the engine crank over and after a second or two I just bump the key in and out. It fires just fine and if it sounds like it needs another bump I'll give it one.

Same thought here, I'd crank it a few times before hitting the choke button. If she doesn't start within a few cranks just give it a momentary bump to prime. If my boat has been started within the last week, it'll usually fire right up without the choke.
You can always add more choke if you need it,-- but it's hard to take it back when you've got too much ;-).