Complete Boat Repaint

MackDSM

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1978 Hydrasports Bass boat and am in the process of doing a semi-restore on it.

I've been playing around with the idea of a complete re-paint, but all my searches are turning up incomplete or conflicting information, and I'm not sure what to do.

I have a complete automotive paint shop, tools, etc. at my disposal and a professional automotive body man willing to do the work, but he has never done work with gel coat before. We are wondering if we can sand down the existing finish (which is the standard bass boat flake), and the paint over with an automotive base, followed by a mid-clear with new added flake, and then spray a few layers of clear gel coat over top of the automotive paint?

I know from the factory, the standard procedure is to gel coat the mold first, and then the fiberglass is applied second, but what is the step-by-step procedure for a re-paint?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Complete Boat Repaint

It can be refinished, but you need to pick either paint or gel coat, you can't mix and match.

rz

Seaman Apprentice

I'd like to know what type of paint you are using and where did you find it.
I have a 1971 Rinkerbuilt Tri-Hull and would like to repaint or gel coat it as well.
Thanks and good luck with your project.

rz

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Two of the most common Paints used here on iBoats are Pettit EasyPoxy and Interlux Brightsides. Both are sold right here on iBoats.
Check em out!

I'm just sayin...:D

MackDSM

Cadet

Thanks for the information.
Ondarvr, I wasn't aware you couldn't mix them. I figured you'd be able to apply gel coat to paint, so that's helpful to know! I've been doing a bit more reading, and it does seem like after the gel-coat has been sanded well to promote adhesion, you can paint over top of it with standard base/clear though. From what I've read, apparently anything sticks to gel coat, but I guess not vice-versa!

Woodonglass - from what I gather, those are special marine type paints, correct? So if I'm planning on using standard auto base/clear, they wouldn't be compatible or mix with these, would I be correct?

From the information I've gathered, I guess automotive type paints and clears actually have better UV protection than gel coat, and will hold up well, but are just a bit more likely to chip, etc. if the boat were to come into contact with a dock or other things of that nature.

So I plan to sand down the boat, and spend a ton of time on prep, then primer, apply base, apply a mid-coat clear with flake mixed in, and then standard clear over top. I may look into adding a flex additive for the paint as well, to help give the finish more resilience to chipping.

Can anyone point out any problems I may run into with this method that I haven't yet realized, or add any pointers?

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

For a trailered boat auto finishes should be fine. As far as getting it to stick, it is like anything else. Remove waxes, sand, body work, sand again, prime, paint. For a boat hull, I don't think the flex additive is really needed. They don't flex like a plastic car bumper and the normal paint without additive should be fine.

Guys, including myself have painted boats with rust-o-leum and have had good results and durability for quite some time. Catalyzed auto paints should be fine too.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have painted a few boats with rustoleum professional now, and it has worked great.

If you are working on a budget, the rustoeum is the best way to go in my oppionion.

I am sure the automotive finish will come out nice as well.

Good luck on the project, and post up some pics:D

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello Mack..

Ive used nason and dupont chroma on boats fine..

The ONE thing I would suggest if doing an overall vs. spot with clearcoat is have a removable tapeline for your clear overall ( boats are not fenders..) .

What I mean to say.. IN your prep .. prep ( for clear ) 1/8-1/4 " beyond your color coat ( if you have edges not being primed/based ) . Tape that Gap off on last .. above your main masking.

Prep for Base .. then pull your 1/8-1/4" tape off and Clear coat.. so your clear is BEYOND your primers and base .. Do not have a hard tape line that is exposed to water .. clear over based tape lines.

YD.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Auto/Boat paints are basically the same thing ( boats dont normally get BCCC'd though.. ). However .. LP is different for boats.

Never see a car with Awl-grip LP :) ..hmm I should do my bronco..

2 part AE or AU will do you well if not damaged.. flake..well you know how hard it would be to spot repair a 500,000 boat without the owner saying " well..I can see it in the moonlight " .. been there..

YD.

MackDSM

Cadet

Woodonglass, that is definitely a well done paint job using auto paint! I'm glad to see it's been done many times before, and if done well, can be expected to last for a while and look good!

I've used Rustoleum for other painting before, but never on an actual car or boat body. But luckily I've got a professional to do the actual painting for me, and to help out with the prep. to make sure it's all done well. I'm taking my time and not rushing this. My goal is just to have it done by next spring, in time for Walleye opening day!

It will all be done with high quality primers, paints, flakes and clear. Even though the cost can really add up. (Which is another reason I'm not rushing the job, and will do it over winter as funds allow!)

Oh, and Yacht Dr; I'm not planning on needing any seperate paint lines that would need masking prior to doing the clear, so I *shouldn't* have to worry about that. But plans do change, and who knows, I could completely change the design I have in mind right now, so I appreciate the tip/reminder!

I'll definitely post some before/during/after pics once the work starts!

drewpster

Commander

I would also be interested in seeing how this one turns out. I am a big marine paints guy, but I do recognize the advantages of auto paints on trailer boats. I would be interested to see how one holds up opposed to the other.
The kind of marine paints I have been using are the DIY kind. (Brightside, Perfection) My concerns about using auto paints are their durability on the trailer and repeated emersion in water.