Trolling Motor

tater50

Cadet
I want to purchase a trolling motor for my 1988 Monark Pontoon. How long of shaft does the motor have to have and how do you mount it to the bow?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trolling Motor

The motor is simply bolted to the deck but I would suggest you use a quick release plate for the installation. This allows quick removal of the motor for storage and to prevent theft. To determine shaft length measure the distance from the deck to the water and add two feet. Might I suggest a 50 or 55# MinnKota Power Drive V2.

tater50

Cadet

Thanks for the answer and for the suggestion. I will be going to Bass Pro and shop for a trolling motor.

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer

I want to purchase a trolling motor for my 1988 Monark Pontoon. How long of shaft does the motor have to have and how do you mount it to the bow?

click for bigger pic

I offset mine so the dog could still see out.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Get the longest shaft you can, a toon is pretty far from the water and if you hit any wake the boat will bounce so you need all you can get.

I agree with the 55 lb rating, that is alot of boat to move adn that is the biggest motor you can get and still be 12 volts.

I have a Motorguide 55 wireless on my fishing boat and they are great, works from a handheld remote(comes with foot remote too) from anyhwere on the boat, really nice not having to balance on a pedal all day.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

I purchased a Minn-Kota 55# thrust V-2 & found the Co-Pilot on craigslist. I used the quick release mount to prevent theft & I love it. I tried it out on my 15 ft bass boat while rebuilding my 24 ft pontoon boat. It made my bass boat "humm" in the water so I have no doubts it will work great on the pontoon boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

motor guide wireless remote,

toonalmostfinished003.jpg

Pontoonfoon

Seaman

Motorguide wireless 55# 54" shaft, works like a charm. Ive got a 21' party barge and even in a pretty heavy wind with the top deployed i can make headway.

Picked the motorguide over the V2 kota because the quick release plate is included with the motorguide, but is a $75 extra onthe kota.

and the plate for the motorguide is lower profile aswell, can fully close my front gate over it and it doesent tough the plate at all.