I need an opinion.--UPDATE

gonefishie

Commander
I got a little situation that I'm hung up on. One of my best friend is getting marry and we have planned to go out of town for his bachelor party. Cubs vs Cardinals game then party in Chi-town afterward. Tickets for the game, hotel reservations, etc... all done. I'm in the wedding party too. Here's the problem, I'm qualified to compete in the regional tournament that would give me a chance to qualify for the national event. The national will be on Kentucky Lake, against some of the best in the country, big money involved. Chance of me winning that event is slim but it would mean a great deal to me if I do. They rescheduled the regional qualifier to a date earlier then normal this year and it happens to be the same weekend as Rob's bachelor party. I'm leaning toward skipping the bachelor party but I feel really bad. I've talked to him about it and he seemed kinda bummed. How important is it to you guys that your close friends attend your bachelor party? What would you do?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: I need an opinion.

Whats a bachelor party?

jbjennings

Captain

THe smart money for your conscience would be to go to the bach. party. That party will only happen once and since he's one of your best friends....... They're too hard to come by to risk hurting their feelings.
If you barely qualified for the biggie, then you probably won't do well in the regionals. If you qualified easy, you can do it again next year.
I had a similar situation one time when I was competition coon hunting. I know that doesn't seem like much, but I'd qualified for a big hunt, and it meant a lot to me to go. I never got back to or won the big hunt, but don't have to worry about my friend thinking about me missing his shindig, either.
JMO,
JBJ

Summer Fun

Banned

Stick with your plans.
he seemed kinda bummed
By the way it sounds your friend really wants you there. :)

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Go and support your friend.
If he is not an avid fisherman, he may not understand your obsession with catching fish and cannot fathom as to why you are even making this a difficult choice. :(

jonesg

Admiral

I'll have to be more clear.

The "party" isn't important, the wedding is.
If he doesn't see that, tell him.
And in the big picture, the marriage is important, the wedding not so much.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

You'r shag-ged mate....it the B Party for you.

Cheers
Phillip

(Now JBJ...WTH is a Coon Hunt. They stopped our forefathers from doing it over a centuary ago!)

jbjennings

Captain

I should have said raccoon hunt. We just let the dogs chase them up a tree in the forest---no shooting involved. Raccoons are little furry omniorous critters that are all over the USA and Canada. Up north, they get up to around 40-50 lbs.
Loads of fun!
JBJ:)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

I'd say, explain it to him like you have here, about how much it means to you and insure him you understand how much the party means to him...then ask him to choose and you'll go by his wishes...

Another thought...is there enough time to re-plan the party with-out screwing anything or anybody up? Just a thought.

Glad I'm not in your shoes, true friends are hard to come by, & dreams are too!!!

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well my bachelor party was in a hotel bar and the only person that I have remained close to is my best man(are you the best man?) even close friends come and go but just as long as your are there for the big day then it should be good,if it was me and I knew what I know and being your good friend I would have a beer with you the day before you were going to your tournament and me my bachelor party good luck

Link

Rear Admiral

Well I kind of agree with eaglejim here.
My first reply was to live up to your screen name (GonefishiN)
mybad mybad LOL
If I were Rob I would have already let you off my hook to set your hook on a fish.
But since he didn't offer it as an option well ...
To quote Kiwi Phill
You'r shag-ged mate....it the B Party for you.

Link

jonesg

Admiral

Most men don't grow up until after they get married, if at all.
But if they do , they'll learn they married their best freind.
Guys don't grasp this, but to a gal its obvious before the fact.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

You can get snockered and watch dancing girls anytime. A real friend would understand.

Expidia

Commander

It's not your fault his Bachelor party was scheduled at the same time as this fishing event.

You will probably get in trouble at the Bachelor party anyway, because a decent one is designed for trouble :D

I'd opt for the fishing contest being that you seem to be an avid fisherman by just your desire to enter the contest.

Even though he's a great friend of yours, once he's married, his Wife will eventually try to drive a wedge between you anyway. I've lost a few good fishing buddies because of this.

"Hey Bill, a little fishing this weekend:" "Oh I can't again, my Wife wants me to go with her to (you fill in the blank) :)

Anyone else here ever lost a good fishing buddy to this dreaded disease?
Send them a subscription to this magazine :D

_Magazine.jpg

gonefishie

Commander

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not the best man and this party has the making of The Hangover 2. I'll have another talk with him.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Like most instances, after the wedding you won't be seeing much of him,,,,,,,,,,,but you will still have the love for fishing. I'd say sorry, but this means too much for me to miss and as a good friend that you are I hope you understand. Good luck.......SS

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The thread caught my eye because my son's BP is this week.

Reminds me of my other passion - hunting. Its a 3 week season, so there is plenty of time overall, nevertheless "opening day" is when the whole group gets together and that only happens once. My DS B-I-L has 3 daughters and all 3 decided opening day 3 years in a row was the day to get married. Three years in a row screwed up, but its family, what can you do. It would have been wrong to go hunting!

Hunting and fishing are only hobbies unless you're a pro, then its your job. Contests are only games....family is family, and friends are friends (unless you really don't care about being friends for a long time). There will me more games, but only 1 BP.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, I want to quote kiwi phil, but then again, I know how passionate I am about a couple of my "hobbies". So I want to say go to the tourny. But yet again, I only have three guys I count amongst my "best friends" so it would be off to the party...OH, the agony of it all...:eek:

Sorry, but it looks like the party for ya.

Really though, only you can answer this question. And you already have (kinda). You brought it up to him, he was less than enthusiastic about it. You were bummed that he didn't say go ahead and now you are going to bring it up again. You have to know that whether you go fishing or to the party there will be some strain on the friendship in the future. It will either be from him being sore with you for not going, or you at him because you went and did not do what you wanted.

Sorry for putting it so blunt, but that's the way I see it. You are in a loose-loose situation.:(

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The thread caught my eye because my son's BP is this week.

Reminds me of my other passion - hunting. Its a 3 week season, so there is plenty of time overall, nevertheless "opening day" is when the whole group gets together and that only happens once. My DS B-I-L has 3 daughters and all 3 decided opening day 3 years in a row was the day to get married. Three years in a row screwed up, but its family, what can you do. It would have been wrong to go hunting!

Hunting and fishing are only hobbies unless you're a pro, then its your job. Contests are only games....family is family, and friends are friends (unless you really don't care about being friends for a long time). There will me more games, but only 1 BP.

You know they did that on purpose right? That's just mean!!!

It was a conspiracy I tell ya. Not many things more sacred than opening day of deer season. Well, maybe opening day eve:rolleyes:.