1975 70 hp Evinrude model 70573B

onyxsage

Recruit
Help! We just bought a 1975 15.5' Crestliner with a 1975 70hp Evinrude (model #70573B). Had it out in the water today, had some trouble. We need to know - do we mix oil & gas for this motor, or is it oil injected? If we do mix 2 stroke oil and gas, what is the oil/gas mix ratio? The motor started up fine, boat ran fine for an hour & a half. Parked the boat for about 15 minutes, then tried to start the motor - no luck. Oared back to the boat launch. The 12 gallon plastic gas tank was all "sucked in" (still had about 6 gals of gas in it), the vent on the gas tank was closed the entire time we ran the boat, and then we saw oil/gas? seeping into the water. We apparently flooded the motor. So - the vent on the gas tank needs to be open, correct?
We are true beginners, and don't know what we're doing, but are trying to learn. Our apologies for the leaking of gas/oil into the lake - we feel very badly that this happened. Please help us - all of the local boat places are closed - don't know who else to ask. Thanks for your understanding & patience with us.

dwco5051

Commander
Re: 1975 70 hp Evinrude model 70573B

50/1 gas to oil mix. 16 oz of twc outboard oil per 6 gallons of gas. My daughter had an identical boat and motor combination. Served her well for many years. Yes the vent should be open when the motor is running.

onyxsage

Recruit

dwco - thanks for the info. Much appreciated. But - I am now afraid to venture back out onto the boat. My son insists I get back out there tomorrow and just get used to it. I'm scared!!! :eek: I am so thankful for this forum for help in answering our questions. Now - who wants to go out tomorrow with my husband & I so I don't feel so scared & alone?? :)

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't be scared, oversights are part of the learning curve when you are beginning. People forget to open a vent, forget to put the plug in the back of the boat before they launch it, etc.

That's the whole point in the forum, there is always someone else out there who may have the answers to problems that you are not sure about.