Power pack help!!

87 mercury 70hp. ok, My power pack went out a few weeks ago. So, I replaced it with a good used one from a guy in town for 50$. Motor fired right up. Had it out a few times and now I am at the same place with a blown power pack. Did i just get a used one that just went out because off age or is something causing these to blow. Keep in mind that the one I replaced was original, and the one I replaced it with also was a original merc part. I have read on here about the kill switch getting power to it somehow and blowing the pack. I pulled it completely off pack and checked the wire for power while cranking, and nothing. (this is just with a light tester) . I do get power on the kill switch post on the power pack while cranking.Does this sound right? please help. Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Power pack help!!

Yes, it sounds right. The kill switch grounds the ignition signal somewhere in the trigger circuit mystery parts of the switchbox.

It's time for a DVA test of the power from the stator, and the signals from the trigger.

Poor grounds will sometimes make a switchbox iintermittent, or actually take it out, as in blow it.

BTW, White motors use power packs. Black ones use switchboxes.:D

hope it helps
John

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

you need to remove the kill wire from the pack and check for voltage on the wire - the terminal on the pack will have voltage - but the wire should not when disconnected and cranking the engine .

j_martin

Admiral

you need to remove the kill wire from the pack and check for voltage on the wire - the terminal on the pack will have voltage - but the wire should not when disconnected and cranking the engine .

I think he already did that.:D

I guess I'll just have to take it to my guy in town and see if he will do a dva test for me. I just want to see if something is causing the packs to go out or just bad luck. Thanks guys.