Odd steering cable question

TillamookB2

Cadet
I finally was able to identify my boat as a 1959 Crestliner Arabian and the motor is a 1959 Mercury Mark 55A. Anywho, I've decided to replace the steering cables, because the existing ones look like they've seen much better days. Everyone's talking about tubes that the cables go through, but mine has none. Its a cable with heavy white insulation run thru a system of pulleys. Would there be any harm in replacing them with regular stainless cables? As I said, they don't travel through any tubes. Its just pulleys.

Re: Odd steering cable question

I see no reason what you're suggesting wouldn't work, that's essentially what's used in light aircraft control systems. In fact you may find the cable and hardware at Wicks Aircraft or Aircraft Spruce. While you're at it look at the condition of the pulleys and their bearings etc. to see if anything else is in need of being replaced.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

It's a cable and pulley system, which was on most of the recreational boats of that era. Technically the cable is called "wire rope". The cable can be replaced with regular cable as long as the diameter is roughly the same. I get the regular old Home Depot coated stuff. Make sure to carefully and meticulously inspect every pulley, bracket, eyelet, spring, nut and bolt on the steering and replace any questionable parts or connectors before you put it into service. Those systems work very well and are safe if maintained, but will throw you for a loop (literally) if they are not.

TillamookB2

Cadet

Awesome. I think I'll go ahead and just replace all the pulleys and springs. This boat isn't a main form of transportation and the lakes and bays aren't going anywhere, so I may as well take my time and do it up right. I'm just lazy and don't want to have to go and do this twice.
Thanks everyone.
-Dru