bomber/excaliber crankbaits

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class
in the 90s and earlier 2000s i watched bill dance, kinda used that show as my fishing bible. even though i finally realized he was fishing alot of ponds or smaller bodys of water. well when the line of excaliber fat free guppies and fat free shads came along i guess you could say i was hooked. well these days i notice those lures are in a bomber package. were they always bomber and i never realized it? i have not bought any, but have since lost most of the older ones. i have looked on ebay and some do still exist. some of them are being asked outragious to me prices. the excaliber lures do catch fish for me. im not a big fan of lures you buy and after a day of fishing them the finish is 1/3 of the way gone. im a crankbait fisherman, i guess cause i believe theres not a whole lot of skill involved and i dont have much patience to worm or lizard fish. from time to time ill try carolina and within a half an hour im back to cranking.

tuffshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: bomber/excaliber crankbaits

I remember them!

And thanks for the ebay reminder, I have been looking for some older Bagley lures. The diving SMOO in particular.

I usually find a few Bagley lures in older bait shops.

Bombers are still found at Wally World.

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bomber cranks are the best! many differnt sizes and colors, the fatA 4ft is one of my goto lures yearround. the way they back up on the float is the key

i have wondered about the excaliber thing my self, i am not 100% sure but it seems to me that excaliber uses exstiting lures and modifies and improves on the orignial. i have noticed some of there lures are the same as bomber, strikeking, and pop-rs, they are the same lure with nicer paint(don't help) better hooks and split rings. Lots of times at dicks they cost less then the "orignial"

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

anyone ever try these express H2O lures at academy. i was going to but didnt. there only like 3.50 for a crank bait. look real good. thought maybe the finish would come off. i bought some nice looking strike king rattle traps. metalic finish started coming off within a few hours. im tempted to try some of these ebay chepos. like 2.40 each free shipping. coming from hong kong.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

anyone ever try these express H2O lures at academy. i was going to but didnt. there only like 3.50 for a crank bait. look real good. thought maybe the finish would come off. i bought some nice looking strike king rattle traps. metalic finish started coming off within a few hours. im tempted to try some of these ebay chepos. like 2.40 each free shipping. coming from hong kong.

My fishing buddy who is a former bass tourney guy claims that the rattle traps start working good once they knock off some finish and get banged up. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

there are some good deals on ebay right now. the rapalas that run 7.49, can be got for around 4.00 a piece. just dont overbid. 3 for around 12.00 and 2.99 ship. go to sporting goods fishing lures you will see them. also alot of these chepos from china. im still curious how the would do.

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My fishing buddy who is a former bass tourney guy claims that the rattle traps start working good once they knock off some finish and get banged up. I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it.

i agree. "new" lures just aren't the same as those old banged up ones! an old wood lure thats all beat up, with brand new hooks is the best!
i fish very stain water so its more about the action lure and the way you fish it. i have had good luck with lures that i painted black, if i could have only one color it would be black. i think all these colors is a way for more lure companys to stay in the game. if all lures were one color it wouldn't be hard to find the best preformers. once i find a patern i rarely concern my self with color........to a point. to me blue, black, purple,ect are all the same. white, yellow, chart. are basicly the same everything esle is green pumkin.........................but my fav crank is buy far the crawdad fat4A from bomber........the back is all black

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

ive considered doing a little custimizing of my own. what kind of paint did you use. concerns me about the paint smell.

MaddysDaddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

cheap black spraypaint or sharpies(i have heard nail polish is good but i haven"t tried it yet). some paint will "eat" some plastics so i used old rusty lures first. you must let the paint cure for a while. all paint and finish has a oder. the reason (most) lures dont smell out of the box is the same reason the walls in your house dont smell like paint. after the paint as cured fully and aired out its good to go. (have you ever noticed how bad some swimbaits smell......whats up with that!)
try painting your fav crank black should be good at night or dark water, i really like black poppers too

bassinbeno

Cadet

I fish every weekend also fish small local smallmouth bass tournaments I have 100s of lures but always find myself fishing a war eagle golden shiner spinnerbait in stained water or a cabin creek green pumpkin tube. I always do well with these two baits and I guess all the other crankbaits and jerkbaits etc. I purchased simply because they looked good on the shelf. Just my 2 cents.

yourkiddin

Petty Officer 1st Class

just wanted to give an update on the cheepo lures from ebay. i went ahead and spent around 15 dollars on a 5 pack and 2 individual crank baits. good price for 7 lures. out of the five pack of various colors two ran true out of the pack. not tried to adjust the others yet. the individual ones dont run true at all and have a very thin wire that the ring attaches to. i tried to adjust them to get them to swim right. no luck, bottom line is i wont be spending anymore on them. but you can still find good prices on the name brand ones that we are familar with.