Mercruiser 4.3 will not "stay" running

toondaddy

Recruit
Hi folks, thanks for any help.

While on the lake the other day I had a problem. boat ran fine all day until the end of day. Went to start up to reposition and it would not run.

turn the switch and engine cranks but will not start. I gave it some (well kind of alot) throttle and it catches but as soon as i let the key go back to run it dies. I did poke around the linkages and the ignition switch wiring waiting for a rescue boat, and it started and ran long enough to get back to the ramp.

Now, it is back to the same thing and no matter the tinkering with connections etc it will not start.

Any suggestions to trouble shoot?

blackhawk12

Recruit
Re: Mercruiser 4.3 will not "stay" running

check to see if the gas tank has a good vent to suck air. The engine might not be getting air

Bondo

Staff member

Mercruiser 4.3 will not "stay" running

Ayuh,... Carbed,..?? Efi,..?? Vintage,..?? History,..??

Squab

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had the same problem with my 1989 4.3 merc. I changed both fuel filters and put a drop or two of fuel in the carb and she started right up

cr2k

Captain

Tells us it dies when you return the key to run makes me think electrical, maybe ignition switch.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Tells us it dies when you return the key to run makes me think electrical, maybe ignition switch.

Without knowing things like Bondo mentioned, everything is just a bunch of guessing. It could be ignition switch, or resistor wire, or oil pressure switch, or EFI fuel pump problems, or VST or ....................

No information, no real answer, only WAG's..

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

clean the carb, replace filters...