Beach Fishing - Tide Question

tillman40

Cadet
Ok I'm new to beach fishing for Blues on Florida's east coast during the mullet run....

Is it better to fish with incoming or outgoing tide??

thurps

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Beach Fishing - Tide Question

When beach fishing in new waters I usually look for obstructions, snags, etc. at low tide, then fish the incoming tide. The best fishing is supposed to be from 2 hrs. before high tide to 1 hr after. What I really love about surf fishing is that you really never know when or what you might catch.

Happy fishing, Kelley.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

It really depends on the fish and the weather condtions. I used to be one of those before and after the change guys.

Over time, I've learned that the location, and where you fish it, is more important than any tides. I've caught more trophy fish at night, within an hour of low tide, than any other time of the day.

Having said that, Blues are sight feeders. Low to mid-level light levels. Like high tides and moving water. Locally, the inlets are infested with Blues on the tide changes. An hour or two on both sides of the high should produce. If fishing out front, you want the wind in your face. It pushes the bait closer to the beach. Biggest thing with Blues is the water clarifity. The water must be clear. Blues and dirty water don't mix.

tillman40

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm stoked to go! Off to the garage to get the gear just right!

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

It really depends on the fish and the weather condtions. I used to be one of those before and after the change guys.

Over time, I've learned that the location, and where you fish it, is more important than any tides. I've caught more trophy fish at night, within an hour of low tide, than any other time of the day.

Having said that, Blues are sight feeders. Low to mid-level light levels. Like high tides and moving water. Locally, the inlets are infested with Blues on the tide changes. An hour or two on both sides of the high should produce. If fishing out front, you want the wind in your face. It pushes the bait closer to the beach. Biggest thing with Blues is the water clarifity. The water must be clear. Blues and dirty water don't mix.

dingbat pretty much nailed it, look for schools of bait and moving water.

sasto

Captain

I Throw a 1oz silver spoon attached to a foot of wire leader and reel fast. I've had 2 on 1 spoon before. During the mullet run they can be found in large schools, look for boiling water.