Hull in a very bad condition... need help

tagggg

Seaman Apprentice
Hello

Firt of all, i will make a real restauration thread but now, i'm little bit discouraged. And, i'm a french canadian, and not really good in english. :redface:

I've just bought this boat. But what surprises. The hull seems in very bad condition and I dont know if its possible to do something with it.

assume that the whole bottom of the hull is in the same condition.

I have the time and budget for the restoration of the boat so this is not a problem. But you think that product should I use to do a nice job?

boat005.jpg
boat006.jpg
boat007.jpg
boat008s.jpg

thank you for your help

tagggg

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hull in a very bad condition... need help

Not the best of pictures. It is difficult to see what you think the problem may be.

Near as I can tell, you have multiple layers of paint flaking off and a dent???

Or is that pitting holes in the hull??

oops!

Supreme Mariner

welcome to i boats eh? :)

that is paint coming off.

what products you use depends on how well you want to do the job.

but the first thing you have to do is flip the hull and sand all the paint off....then we can deal with the damage

cheers
oops

tagggg

Seaman Apprentice

My problem is the multitude of small holes in the aluminum. (pics no2) nad i don't know what's the best product to make a perfect job. I know to sand all the boat before the paint and i know the glucit use in the boat. But for this small hole, jb weld Marine tex, other ???

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to iBoats!

You might want to check out this product. It really works well in the repair of holes in aluminum. You must sand and clean the surface really well before applying metal 2 metal, but if you do it will never come off and it will seal the hole permanently. YOU will have to paint it because it is not 100% water proof
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=37

Metal2Metal.jpg

You might investigate this product for painting the boat once the repairs are all done
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/aluthane.html

I'm just sayin...:D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

According to the MSDS for the Ever-Coat, its polyester resin with talc, so the bond and waterproofness (not a word) would be a little suspect for marine use.

If the holes are from now unused screws or something similar, then put a nut and bolt in it with a little 3M 5200.

If they're from corrosion its more difficult because areas around the holes are most likely bad too, plus other areas you can't see (riveted overlaps, welds, etc), so the entire hull may be weakened.