MinnKota 50PD 12V issues...

LindyJoe

Recruit
New to this forum. Found tons of great info already but not quite the answer I need yet. My PowerDrive 50 quit working completely last week - made some buzzing noises and the wires got hot. I took apart the armature and inspected brushes etc and all looked good. I ran 12 volts direct to the motor after reassembling and it spins at full speed. (Bypassed the control board)

I just replaced the control board and still nothing. I disassembled the foot control which doesn't appear to be serviceable. I checked to make sure I have power to the foot contol via a test light and I have power going in. When I use the test light on the main red wire into the control board and depress the power button on the foot control, I get a weak light on the control board - almost like a bad ground on a trailer light.

Is the foot control my next part to replace? It also does not turn yet I get a good light when checking power at the control board while pressing the turn buttons on the foot control.

Thanks in advance for all you insight!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: MinnKota 50PD 12V issues...

Has your foot control been left out in the weather continuously so it has undergone lots of soaking? Is this a high useage motor -- meaning has it been used a lot. The speed control slider and buttons on the foot control operate membrane type contactors and sliders. They are known to fail. Guess I need to take some pictures of a failed unit for all to see. Once the membrane is broken the contact surfaces can become corroded and pitted thus creating an intermittent or non-functional pedal. They are about $75 to replace.

LindyJoe

Recruit

The boat has always been in the garage when not in the water. I don't really use the trolling motor much until I started fishing in Green Bay where I need to troll under 1.0mph so the electric should be ideal.

I'm sure it has gotten wet here and there but I typically unplug the foot control and store it by the battery. I think it stays pretty humid in there however. I did find the foot control at Cabelas for $68. I didn't want to buy it until I felt certain that it was the issue - they said no returns on that part.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You might just try disconnecting the large plug and then reconnecting it several times to burnish the terminals. These can get corroded which would cause intermittent or no operation.