Marine 12v Audio Equipment Or NOT Marine 12v Audio Equipment; Is The Question...!?

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1989 MAXUM 19.5'

We recently overhauled the boat. Besides re-building EVERYTHING from the inside out, we added some good quality electronics. We installed 5 LCD screens, 2 amplifiers, 2 subwoofers, 6 coaxial speakers with built in tweeters, IPod interface and a DVD/in-dash receiver. (We also installed a HD - High resolution night vision camera on the front of the boat, which allows us to see 100' in front of us, on the water, in total darkness); so coming back up the river at 2 in the morning is much safer! (like playing a video game with no extra lives)

(Some other stuff too, motorized light on the front with a remote control at the captain?s chair, and a solar panel to keep the batteries charged when boat is docked and not in use)

This project was completed and ready for the 2009 season. This is now the 2010 season and everything is still running strong!

Many have claimed that it is important to purchase marine equipment.
Many say that it is not necessary.

So I ask of you all...

Marine or not Marine; that IS the question!

-Mark

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Marine 12v Audio Equipment Or NOT Marine 12v Audio Equipment; Is The Question...!

I have a regular non marine stereo/cd unit in my dash, under a plastic cover.
The front speakers I believe are also non marine, but they're under and up from the floor. If either get wet it means by boat is seriously swamped, at which point I'd care less about them.
I added a pair of 6X9's that are more apt to get splashed by the normal activity, so I got marine ones- I think they're just a bit more splash resistant.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine 12v Audio Equipment Or NOT Marine 12v Audio Equipment; Is The Question...!

If any of the speakers can get wet, I use marine.

I use a non-marine head unit but it is inside the cabin. Not really sure what the difference is between a marine and non marine head unit anyway. either should be shielded from water though.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it is exposed to splashes, then definitely go marine. If it is exposed to fog, then marine. If it is exposed to high humidity then go marine. If it is exposed to a salt environment then especially go for marine. Marine equipment should have a special conformal coating on the boards. They also are generally better sealed. Otherwise they will eventually suffer from mold. They will eventually suffer from contaminates tracking across the surface of the PCB. (This is caused by a small level of contamination on the board coupled with a moderate moisture level and an exposure to battery voltage.) If the design uses a lead free solder, these issues will (in my experience) be even worse. I design electronics for the automotive industry, and even now some of our designs end up needing the conformal coating (at a substantial cost increase.) This will get even worse in the future. It is your call, but I would seriously consider going for marine construction.

TerryMSU

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I do believe you probably have more in aftermarket electronics than the boat is worth!

Anyway, my experience in marine audio is that only that car audio speakers do NOT stand up to sunlight exposure very well. In a typical car environment, you have a layer of glass which stops most of the UVB rays. In a boat, at least one that has an interior exposed to lots of sun, the speaker will dry rot out long before anything else.

SteveRoss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi There.....

I think I got a really great sound system. On the lil' 12' jon before, I had a lil' Sony radio, solar powered, so it never came on till the sun came up.

Since then, I've moved up to a much bigger 14' jon. I've already purchased a brand new Sony AM/FM/Casette player. At the local Hospice thrift center, I found some speakers for it for $3.99. At the flea market, I found a 16 pin standard Sony plug to fit the back !! What Luck !! I can't wait to build a waterproof box for all of it out of plywood, and mount it on the side of the boat.....

Happy listening...
Regards, Steve

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

which High resolution night vision camera did u install?

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ahh the good ole days when people went boating to have some serenity and peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Marine audio is drastically different than car or home. I haven't taken too much green water over the home, nor have I had to washdown the car interior lately...

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You also have to consider the way the boat is used. A trailered pleasure boat isn't apt to be driving around in rain/fog and is more likely to be vaccumed than to have the fish slime washed down. A moored boat I would definitely go with marine stuff, but a trailered pleasure boat, especially fresh water, I wouldn't hesitate to use car stuff as long as it isn't where it is likely to get wet.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I do believe you probably have more in aftermarket electronics than the boat is worth!

My thought, too. Kinda like putting a couple grand worth of custom wheels on your '89 Hyundai.

To each his own, tho- good luck with it.

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a regular non marine stereo/cd unit in my dash, under a plastic cover.
The front speakers I believe are also non marine, but they're under and up from the floor. If either get wet it means by boat is seriously swamped, at which point I'd care less about them.
I added a pair of 6X9's that are more apt to get splashed by the normal activity, so I got marine ones- I think they're just a bit more splash resistant.

Most people I know just have regular car audio head units and speakers in their boats as well, I figured it would be an interesting thread for everybody to chime in with any factual evidence proving that one lasts longer than the other. About how long ago did you install your equipment?

So far I've gotten almost 2 full seasons with non-marine equipment, and I dock the boat on the river. The boat is covered when not in use but as always, a little rain water (very small splashes) will make it inside. The boat sits in the cold weather all winter too. I have examined different types of mobile electronics equipment and most of todays QUALITY products seem like they should hold up on the water, granted NOTHING I have EVER seen is completely water proof, which MAY only leave it up to the quality of the boards and/or solder quality.

Thanks for the reply!

-Mark

NHGuy

Captain

I'm all for the night vision camera and a good sound system, but why would you put video screens in there. You couldn't get me to stop and watch videos while boating. Or are you just using up inventory from that car hifi store in the background from the first pic?

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If any of the speakers can get wet, I use marine.

I use a non-marine head unit but it is inside the cabin. Not really sure what the difference is between a marine and non marine head unit anyway. either should be shielded from water though.

Do you happen to know the type of material the cones of your marine speakers are?

Most speaker cones are made out of polypropylene. I installed a set of regular car speakers in a golf cart for my neighbor, he leaves it out in the rain all of the time, lol. that was 3 years ago!! The speakers are face up too and are still playing strong. Also installed was a regular Kenwood CD receiver. It has a plastic marine cover, protecting the face (it flips down when you need to adjust the unit). That is also still working fine.

Is you cabin completely air tight? If not how long ago did you install your non-marine radio?

Thanks for the reply!
-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is exposed to splashes, then definitely go marine. If it is exposed to fog, then marine. If it is exposed to high humidity then go marine. If it is exposed to a salt environment then especially go for marine. Marine equipment should have a special conformal coating on the boards. They also are generally better sealed. Otherwise they will eventually suffer from mold. They will eventually suffer from contaminates tracking across the surface of the PCB. (This is caused by a small level of contamination on the board coupled with a moderate moisture level and an exposure to battery voltage.) If the design uses a lead free solder, these issues will (in my experience) be even worse. I design electronics for the automotive industry, and even now some of our designs end up needing the conformal coating (at a substantial cost increase.) This will get even worse in the future. It is your call, but I would seriously consider going for marine construction.

TerryMSU

Just out of curiosity, have you ever experienced the type of problems that you mentioned? If so how long/how much usage did you get before these things occurred? What type of water or moisture conditions was the equipment subject to? What type of electronics do you design, and do these products experience more exposure than radios and speakers?

Most marine radios that I have seen have the standard "metal" housing like regular radios but with a "splash resistant" face plate.

Thanks for the post!!

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyway, my experience in marine audio is that only that car audio speakers do NOT stand up to sunlight exposure very well. In a typical car environment, you have a layer of glass which stops most of the UVB rays. In a boat, at least one that has an interior exposed to lots of sun, the speaker will dry rot out long before anything else.

Something is usually worth what someone is willing to pay for it or for how much the owner would actually sell it. Somethings are priceless; I would encourage EVERYBODY to ALWAYS do whatever makes them happy, no matter what the cost!

NOW, back to the actual SUBJECT of the thread!

I can see your point on the sunlight. I have seen many car speakers in the rear deck dry-rot (the foam surrounds) from the sunlight! This is a really good point! Most of what I have seen were factory speakers doing this, usually the vehicles are over 10 years old too. About how much usage did you get from your speakers before they started to dry-rot?

Thanks a million for the reply!!

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi There.....

I think I got a really great sound system. On the lil' 12' jon before, I had a lil' Sony radio, solar powered, so it never came on till the sun came up.

Since then, I've moved up to a much bigger 14' jon. I've already purchased a brand new Sony AM/FM/Casette player. At the local Hospice thrift center, I found some speakers for it for $3.99. At the flea market, I found a 16 pin standard Sony plug to fit the back !! What Luck !! I can't wait to build a waterproof box for all of it out of plywood, and mount it on the side of the boat.....

Happy listening...
Regards, Steve

That's great Steve! It sounds like you've been having good luck with non-marine equipment as well! Just so you know, you can seal up the plywood box you make with fiberglass resin. This can be bought at any local auto-parts store. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have with building anything for your equipment!

Thanks for the input!

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

which High resolution night vision camera did u install?
It is a NUVICO camera, I will get you the model # the next time I go down to the boat.

Thanks,

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh the good ole days when people went boating to have some serenity and peace and quiet. :rolleyes:

That's great to HEAR that you enjoy peace and quiet. I will assume that you don't have any speakers in your boat at all, why even post?

You can always start your own thread about how you enjoy the quiet out-doors. That would be great! Then you can sit with other folks who share that same thoughts and views as yourself and bash everybody else who doesn't see it your way!

Me personally, if you must know, I am a sound quality person. I LOVE MUSIC! So I must have a nice stereo system. I see nothing wrong with that, and IF I'm asked to give my opinion, I will defend myself on your thread as well! I just asked a simple RESPECTABLE question about marine electronics. Sorry you had to read it...

-Mark

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Marine audio is drastically different than car or home. I haven't taken too much green water over the home, nor have I had to washdown the car interior lately...

Could you please be more specific? No home electronics, just car audio vs marine. Any good or bad experiences to share?

Thanks,

Mark