Sport Jet Flywheel puller options

Oode

Seaman Apprentice
I picked up a puller from the auto parts store, but when I went to use it, I looked at the flywheel and the threads on the 3 holes look pretty rough and I didn't have a lot of time to play.

Is there a known standard solution if I strip on/all of the threads???? I know there is a screw on puller that goes in the center, but they run about $100 or so...

I could weld studs to the 3 holes that may strip, but then I have spinning studs on top of the flywheel....

Looking for ideas before I make a major mess of this. I don't want to end up buying a new flywheel just so I can check out the wiring under it...

TIA

PS still waiting for parts on the fuel pump... I really hate waiting....

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sport Jet Flywheel puller options

Buy a tap for the bolt holes and retap them , How did they get all messed up ? has the flywheel been hit with a hammer in an attempt to remove it ? If so it is probably bad . Post up a pic of the top of the flywheel if you can .

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

The problem is they look like they are rusted out, I only see a thread or two going down... I will look more carefully in daylight, and take pictures if I can make it show the issue.... but i may have to wait till next week when I'll have time...

Any idea what the threads are supposed to be??? looks like 1/4 - 20 but haven't tested it yet...

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think they are 3/8 " I will check today when I work on mine . If yours look that small start by spraying some wd40 in the bolt holes now to loosen the rust up

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

Well I looked closer at the flywheel, and the threads are there, but there is rust on the top that is obscuring it a bit. I also found out I don't have a socket large enough for the nut on top... so, I'm looking for sizes, I've got every tap in the book, metric and standard and I'll go buy the socket if anyone has a reliable size, I'm guessing 1"...... the saga continues...

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 1995 SJ90 crankshaft nut was just over an inch. I believe 1 1/16". An air impact works wonders if you have access.

Brian
www.calledinsick.com

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you do not have access to air , get a 1/2 drive inch electric impact wrench , it will work just fine and yes the top nut is 1 1/16 "

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

Oh, I've got the air and the impact wrench,, just the socket I need to acquire...

Thanks guys!!!!

I'll post up the results in a few days....

Oode

Seaman Apprentice

OK, the threads seem to be gone, I tested with all the taps, it seems the threads have all rusted away, so... now I need to re-tap.

I'd like to start with the original threads and see if there is enough left to pull the flywheel, so if anyone can go test a 1/4-20, 5/16 - 18 or other screw/bolt/tap that fits, I would really appreciate it. the 1/4-20 just spins in mine, but the 5/16 seems very tight, so before I go "too far", I'd love to know what it's supposed to be..

If there is too much gone, I'll have to re-drill and get a bottom tap for the next size up, and hope that I don't unbalance the flywheel too badly.... or break the flywheel, or break the stinkin tap in the beast...

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

5/16 / 16 is what they are supposed to be , soak the holes with wd40 and tap them , they could just be that rusted making the tap tight .