Throttle question (starting), please help!!!!

couchise

Seaman
When i try to start my 1987 85 hp force (856X7B) it is very sensitive and some times you have to play with the throttle to get it stated. Is their a safety neutral switch...how do I fix this?
Thanks

Unforcefull Force

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Throttle question (starting), please help!!!!

You have to give a little more detail about the problem. Is the motor cranking/starter engaging at all? What exactly is it doing/not doing?

-Mark

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice

If you are getting no response at all when you turn the key it may be the safety. I've been stranded for almost an hour before realizing the throttle had beed bumped forward slightly, I was getting ready to swim in!! Rather embarrasing but better than having a serious problem!

couchise

Seaman

Whats happening is before I start the boat is the throttle has to be in neutral but it s so sensitive and some times i need to play with it for a while...is this a safety neutral switch and how do i fix it.

foodfisher

Captain

Still vague. When you say sensitive, do you mean you're hurting it's feelings?

couchise

Seaman

What I a saying is for some reason the boat doesn't start when it is in neutral...I am having to move the throttle all over the place and then it will start...how can this be fixed?????
Thanks

DukeDelago

Seaman Apprentice

But you are still not giving info. What is it doing? Nothing at all happens when you turn the key or does it turn over but not start?

87blf125

Petty Officer 3rd Class

take the cover off the motor, there is a switch that sits by your throttle cable and it has an arched piece of metal under it that moves when you move the throttle. the switch is ajustable, put it in neutral and adjust the switch so it is sitting in the middle of the arched piece, the button on the switch should be pushed in at that time, then you should be good. sorry tryed to explain the best i could.

couchise

Seaman

I will try that tomorrow and thanks for the info. For everyone else that wasn't getting what I was saying. On the the throttle it has to be in neutral to start. I have it in neutral and if the throttle is moved or touched sometimes it won't start. I am asking if a 1987 85 (856X7B) has a safety neutral switch, it almost seems like there is a sweet spot to be in before the key will turn over.
Thank you 87b....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The switch has YELLOW/RED leads.Some shifters have that switch in them also.Look at the shifter and see if there are leads going to that.J

couchise

Seaman

I took it apart yesterday (shifter) and there were blue and yellow leads and also a red one. They look pretty carotid I was thinking of getting a new trim switch and soldering the wires to it.
What is the purpose for the blue and yellow wires????
Thanks everyone for helping me.

otgdy

Seaman

take the cover off the motor, there is a switch that sits by your throttle cable and it has an arched piece of metal under it that moves when you move the throttle. the switch is ajustable, put it in neutral and adjust the switch so it is sitting in the middle of the arched piece, the button on the switch should be pushed in at that time, then you should be good. sorry tryed to explain the best i could.

Hi,
I have a simular problem with a Merc 260 except the engine will not crank unless the throttle is in full reverse. The problem is there is no spark from the coil if I try to start it like this. I imagine that this switch has something to do with it? The problem is the switch is adjusted just as you described. There is a switch that interrupts the coil when changing gears, could this be it ?
I have a wiring diagram for this system and it really sucks. Guess I am looking for yet another switch on the throttle ?

Thanks
OTG