1965 Sea King 6 HP

cymbal

Recruit
Model# VWB19073A Serial# 56XC13486

Picked up at a garage sale. I believe it was made by Chrysler. Tested it in garbage can and had it running for a bit. Water was coming out from back hole so it appears water pump is working. I want to replace regardless (wasn't started in 10 years). It stopped running and I could not get it started without starting fluid. I may have pumped the bulb too hard so I'll relieve the pressure and try again.

I'm looking for a good supplier for parts (web based or phone). Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of purchasing a fuel pump kit, water impeller, and lower unit seal kit (if available). Everything else seems to be OK (so far).

I'm also having difficulty loosening the screws to drain the lower unit. I'm thinking of heating the screws?? Any other suggestions??

Besides the blisters on my fingers from pulling the starting cord, I'm having fun with this project and hopefully have a nice motor when I'm done....

Keith

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1965 Sea King 6 HP

<Picked up at a garage sale. I believe it was made by Chrysler. Tested it in garbage can and had it running for a bit. Water was coming out from back hole so it appears water pump is working. I want to replace regardless (wasn't started in 10 years). It stopped running and I could not get it started without starting fluid. I may have pumped the bulb too hard so I'll relieve the pressure and try again.>

Yes---made by Chrysler but I've read that the Wizards were assembled from some parts no longer used on the Chrysler brand and may be a bit difficult to pin down when sourcing parts. I have a '76 Chrysler version. Very nice runner, it just seems a bit heavy compared to similar power from other makers. Mine is waiting on my work stand for me to get to the shop so I can figure out where the spark went from the coil I replaced 4-5 years ago on the top cylinder. It checks good with a meter but it doesn't spark so I suspect it's grounding out somewhere. I'll pull the flywheel after a few more checks with the meter and go from there. FWIW---I've already taken measurements on another Chrysler and a new OMC coil. It looks like the OMC coil can be removed from the 7/16" square OMC shoe and will fit the 7/16" square Chrysler shoe without any major problems. At the price of Chrysler coils that could prove critical.

<I'm looking for a good supplier for parts (web based or phone). Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. I'm thinking of purchasing a fuel pump kit, water impeller, and lower unit seal kit (if available). Everything else seems to be OK (so far).>

I've been satisfied by the service I've gotten from Franz Marine in the past. <http://franzmarine.com/> Franz is very knowledgeable and allows me to pick his brain as well as having everything I've needed thus far.

<I'm also having difficulty loosening the screws to drain the lower unit. I'm thinking of heating the screws?? Any other suggestions??>

If you don't have a hammer impact wrench get one before proceeding further. No way could I mess with old outboards without one! Horror Freight and many other sources including your local auto parts stores have them for very reasonable prices. HTH, Tom

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Sea King 6 HP

DO NOT be cranking that thing till you make blisters. If you wear out or break the starter pinion, you are more or less out of business. They are rare and hard to get. In fact, so rare that a Chrysler collector friend of mine says he removes the hood and rope starts his, rather than take a chance with the pinion.

Besides, if it isn't running in two or three pulls, there is something wrong. Stop pulling and look for the trouble.