New Dog

204 Escape

Ensign
My wife is getting a Minature Schnauzer male puppy in about 3 weeks. Any one own one of these dogs ?? Pros/cons ?? Name suggestions ??

Thanx

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: New Dog

My wife is getting a Minature Schnauzer male puppy in about 3 weeks. Any one own one of these dogs ?? Pros/cons ?? Name suggestions ??

Thanx

I had one years ago..
Samatha...
Wonderful dog.. They are a bit yippy. They will start barking at the windows for people walking by before they will be infront of the house.. Wonderful watch dog.

Our sammy lived for 12 years before we had to put her down.

Mini's can get things called Schnauzer bumps. They seem like they are a grouping of small bug bites. Then blister and pop. They break out from time to time.

They can also have hip issues.
Our Samatha developed a tumor on her hind end that ended up not letting her move very fast. IT got so bad she couldn't get out of her bed to go tot the bathroom.

But they are wonderful lovable dogs. They can also get jelous so watch for that. They retalieat against owners. My Sammy used to ride everywhere with me in my car. Once I Girlfriend started hanging out with me and took the front seat. Sammy would start crapping everywhere. Even in my seat.

204 Escape

Ensign

:eek: Retaliation ?? Hmmmmm. Well, I guess we will see. She wants to take it in the boat, as well. Interesting.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

:eek: Retaliation ?? Hmmmmm. Well, I guess we will see. She wants to take it in the boat, as well. Interesting.

I dont see why you wouldn't be able to take her in a boat.
We didn't have a boat then, But I had a paddle boat and she would go out with me there. Wasn't too keen on swimming, but that could just have been my dog.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

great dog, but they have a natural odor, that does not wash off. extremely smart, escape artist, early training a must!!! they will try to get away with anything they can do, especially when bored. they do want to be the center of attention. should make a great boat dog, just start early, and leash on before getting close to the dock. don't forget the doggy life jacket.

204 Escape

Ensign

YES, we have the doggy lifejacket already. The odor thing, is that a natural thing, say from oil in the fur, or what causes that ??

Some people that she cleans for has always had one. The Schnauzer is replacing her long loved Scotty that past away.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Great choice!
My wife would have one of these in a flash!
(Been looking at the Schnauzer proper for some time but felt it too big...minature would be 'in').

A lot of dogs get 'odor'.
Our current Scottie does, and she sleeps out at night on the patio (all year).... as did our Westies before that, so did the Airdale.
I feel it's a bit impossible to have a house-dog with out the smells.
We just try to limit them with frequent baths, grooming etc, and the obvious common-sense things like making them sit only on the chair with the 'clean dog towel on'.
Just part of having a dog I guess.

(Airdale??....now you know why the wife wants a Schnauzer..a smaller version)

Good luck.
Cheers
Phillip

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

no presonal experience with a schnauzy but I got the name for you.

MUSKYBAIT

my uncle named his cat that after he jumped out of the boat. toughest cat I've ever known.