Need to pull and identify engine, Help

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Know nothing about bout engines. Have removed heads, "fan belt" pullies, water pump, fuel pump, etc. Removed moter mount bolts and "transmition housing" bolts along top and sides. Can not find any bolts on bottum, are there any? Have rebuilt car engines in my younger days about 20 years ago. Back then I remember having to pry a littel some times. Also seam to remember something about locating pins. Doesn't come apart without prying. Am I missing somthing or should I start brying? Seams to still be attached.:confused: Also, can anyone identify this engine? 4.0 bore, 3.5-4.0 stroke seams to be 3.75, but don't know at this time. Think it my be a 350 chevy. It's in a 1977 Sea Ray 2400 SadenCruiser. See pics.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Clay

Attachments

• other side shot.JPG
    other side shot.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
  • TOP LEFT SIDE.jpg
    TOP LEFT SIDE.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BLOCK ID.jpg
    BLOCK ID.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
  • full engine.jpg
    full engine.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 0
  • TOP  RIGHTSIDE.jpg
    TOP RIGHTSIDE.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 0

farmhand2710

Cadet
Re: Need to pull and identify engine, Help

Yes, what you have is a 350 chevy. They are a cheap and easy rebuild. Good luck!

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys,

Anybody have input on removal?

Clay

christoner2002

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have always been told to pull the outdrive, so the splined shaft is out of the back of the engine. I tink then, it is 2 bolts towards the front of the engine, and 2 at the back. And your wiring to your starter, fuel lines etc. I think there is a large round plug that is all of your alt, sending unit, ignition wiring.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From your pictures, It looks like you might have a Volvo outdrive. If that is the case, you DO NOT pull the outdrive, only the upper gear box. and remove the 6 bolts holding the clamp ring to the flywheel housing. But, from the looks of the engine compartment, that might not help get the engine out. You will probably need to remove the raw water pump off the front pulley in order to get the clearance to move the engine forward. If that doesn't clear things, you may have to disconnect the block from the flywheel housing to get clearance.
From the looks of things, you still need to remove the flywheel cover to change the bearings in it while you have the engine out.

CLAYAROBINSON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help

Engine pulled.

Do I need to know anything that is differant with boat engines then car engines

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • e3.jpg
    e3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • e4.jpg
    e4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The starter,carb,alternator,brass core plugs,the cam is more of a truck cam.
The list goes on.
The new long block from Rapido marine would be the way i would go...